trx 3.3 break-in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAtrucking

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i am breaking in my trx 3.3 and i ran the first tank then my pull-starter broke and i havent ran it since... if i fix it then finish the break in, will it be effected?

There should be no issues. Add some after run oil before storing and you should be ready to go the next time you fire it up.

should i start over or run the second tank?

Be careful and make sure it's not stuck top dead center. My new 2.5R was the next day after my first tank and when I put the pull start on it and pulled too hard it broke my rod at the crank. Had to replace the rod and when I did while I had it broke down took a red scotchbrite and buffed the piston and inside the sleeve a bit (not much) then cleaned it all up with denatured alcohol and lubed it all up with a touch of run oil and reasymbold it all and continued the rest of the five tank breakin. Now it's still running strong and fast.

---------- Post added at 8:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:37 PM ----------

As long as you can turn the crank freely it's ok. Just continue with the second tank stage and it should be fine. I don't mean to freak you out or anything. I just ran up on a freak misshap.

---------- Post added at 8:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:40 PM ----------

As long as you can turn the crank freely it's ok. Just continue with the second tank stage and it should be fine. I don't mean to freak you out or anything. I just ran up on a freak misshap.

---------- Post added at 8:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:41 PM ----------

If you can turn the crank freely or if the pull start pulls without feeling froze up your fine. Just continue on with your second tank.

---------- Post added at 8:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:43 PM ----------

I didn't mean to keep repeating myself. I'm having some connection issues with my network and didn't know it was posting all that. Sorry!

Don't take anything to the piston or sleeve. You can only do damage. Always put the piston to bottom dead center everytime you shut the engine off. Just move the flywheel to the loosest spot while the engine is hot and you'll be fine. But don't ever sand or buff the piston/sleeve.

I think it was defective because from the start the piston wouldn't travel all the way up. I didn't feel right at all and had all kind a hell trying to get it started for the first tank. I got it off eBay not from traxxas so I did what I did as a last resort to save it from breaking another rod and it worked thank god. But your right you should never sand or hone a sleeve cause that's just wearing on it and damaging. Trust me when I say I was gentle while doing so and only at the top end where the piston was sticking. And only very lightly VERY VERY lightly around the top edge of the piston.