TRX 2.5r engine help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler99k

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have TRX 2.5r in my nitro rustler the tuning setting are set at the stock traxxas settings (HSN 4 turns out),(LSN flush with the housing),(ide screw open 1mm-0.7mm) the truck runs fine no dying or anything but there seems to be not as much smoke as there should be so I thought I might need to richen it, but its also running cool and it doesn't seem to be accelerating as fast as it should so I also thought I should lean it out. So I don't know what to do, any help is appreciated

The factory recommended settings are just guidelines to get you started. Try the fuel line pinch test at idle to see where you need to be. The idle should rise slightly and stall within about 3-5 seconds. Sooner, its too lean, longer, too rich. If all checks out it may be your HSN that's rich causing your engine to lag.

What temps are you at after making a full speed passes and such? These engines prefer roughly a 270 degree range but this again is just a guideline.

Last edited:
with the pinch test it took probably 7-9 seconds and as for temp someone decided to take the batteries out of my temp gun so I just did the water test, the water didn't evaporate at all, taking in mind that this was probably 1-2 min after shutting it off cause temp gun had no batteries Andi had to go inside to get water

What fuel are you running, not all fuels smoke like the mosquito spray truck. :)

I am running O Donnell 20%

Yeah I run O'Donnell's too mostly and its a little light on the smoking side.

alright so I prob need to lean it out?

7-9 seconds pinch test is too long, it should be 3-4 sec, lean it out a little, make a couple passes and check it again.

if running way to rich you won't see much smoke. once you start leaning it out you should start seeing smoke. also note you should always tune the hsn first as it can and usually does affect the ability to effectively set the lsn.