Traxxas TMaxx 3.3 (4907) I need some upgraded Driveline

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CupraR

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi guys.

Kind off new to the whole nitro scene but loving it already. Got a TMaxx 3.3 earlier on this year and started a few upgrades.

Fitted a Picco .26 Max Engine
TeknoRC Rear Wing Mount with a Revo Wing.
Pro Line Badlands on 1/2" offset Desperado's.
Ofna Violator Fuel Tank
Savox 0251 Steering Servo and std Steering Servo moved to Throttle/Brake.
THS Racing Exhaust Pipe
Roll Bar
Traxxas Drive Cups with HPI Dog Bone for rear centre Drive Shaft.
Revo Vented Disc Brake.
Traxxas Big Bore Shocks.

On order

Lunsford Hinge Pins
Tekno RC Axle Carriers.
RPM A Arms all round.
RPM Skid Plates.

Now I need some upgrades for my Driveline. Already bust two of the first gears after the slipper in the transmission. Seen the Robinson Racing Transmission gears part number 8007. Do these fit my version and is it a worthwhile upgrade?

Also bust my rear diff. The plastic cup bust it's four mounting screws. Repaired that but would ideally like to upgrade these. Seen the FLM Ultimate Bulks. Are they worthwhile or is there a better or less costly method?

Id like to get my Maxx Bulletproof if possible.

Going to order the 5451R Drive Axles too I think as just bust a std rear shaft, lost an eclip I think then the pin came out.

0fa592e0.jpg

7644cc14.jpg

958ac5cb.jpg

b21baf0b.jpg

sorry about stealing your thread but is the battery box sitting on the servo and how does it say there? trying to redo my chassis set up with the ofna violtor tank(if you can a pic of from the side showning the battery box that would be amazing) love the picco .26 good choice!!!

No worries.

Hope this helps?

4f02faf7.jpg

e7fff902.jpg

Last edited:
what are the leg pieces you are using?

Bell Crank Posts.

Off the top of my head I think there trx 4944.

Sounds like backing your slipper off a bit would help with breaking internal tranny parts and diffs. Robinson makes killer gears. Top notch stuff.

Sounds like backing your slipper off a bit would help with breaking internal tranny parts and diffs. Robinson makes killer gears. Top notch stuff.

Cheers Matt.

Just ordered the full Robinson Racing Tranny set but might only fit part of it. Bought the set from the States as just the Top Shaft Gears and Second would of cost me the same here.

What would you do, fit the set or just part of it and IF another gear breaks, then fit that?

We've run Maxx's for years with piccos and sirrios and never had tranny problems. Had good luck using stock rear center shafts as the "fuse", or weak link. They get twisted up around a gallon of use. Cheap enough to replace though. We've broke a few stock diffs. Upgrading to RRP gears solved that issue.

Robinson Racing do diffs?

RRP did make ring and pinions at 1 time but I don’t think they do any longer.
The new style TMaxx diffs are designed a lot better than the old type, and the ring and pinion are basically the same quality as the rrp gears were.
The rrp ring gear was also not machined to be used with the new style sealed diff.
If you want a better diff than the stock tmaxx diff, the emaxx brushless diff is the best Traxxas has to offer and can be fitted to the tmaxx with a few modifications depending on what center shafts you use.
If you want stronger than that, you will need to go with a 1/8th scale diff.

Thanks Snook Man.

On my Centre Drive Line all I have at the minute is stock front and an HPI rear Dog Bone.

I've ordered a pair of Losi LST Diffs and Drive Axles. I'll have to fathom something for a centre front driveshaft but another member has been very helpful with some great details.

What would you suggest I do with the RRP Tranny Gears. Fit them all or just part of the set?

I intend making my Maxx pretty strong. With left over bits I'd like to build another one for my daughter.

Since you having issues with the input gears I would install the complete set, otherwise you may just end up chasing other stripped gears.

Ok. Will do.

Could there be any negative effects from a full steel gear set?

try to find the next possible point at which the driveline may twist. with a full steel gear set you have no place to control the detonation of the driveline on the inside. try to work in a break point or 'fuse" as it was mentioned in an earlier post. the point is that with so much "power" the twisting force may just strip something that is too expensive to fix or replace. usually i have had that issue in servos and cracking cases of the gearboxes. take it or leave it theres my advice

try to find the next possible point at which the driveline may twist. with a full steel gear set you have no place to control the detonation of the driveline on the inside. try to work in a break point or 'fuse" as it was mentioned in an earlier post. the point is that with so much "power" the twisting force may just strip something that is too expensive to fix or replace. usually i have had that issue in servos and cracking cases of the gearboxes. take it or leave it theres my advice

All input is more than welcome and I know what you are saying re a "fuse point"

I'll try and work something in.

Made a little progress today. Trial fitted the front Losi Diff to get an idea of drive shaft length. Looks like an HPI 77mm Dog Bone like I have in the back will fit just fine. There's approx 3mm of movement in shaft and cups.

fa072f38.jpg

Little more progress today. Least it looks like a truck a little more.

Fitted the full Robinson Racing Gears (I'll see how I like the full set)
Losi Diffs fitted.
Losi Drive Shafts to the wheels.
Tekno RC Axle Carriers.
RPM A Arms
Put single hole pistons into my Big Bore Shocks too to try out.

Waiting on a few more bits to arrive to finish it off. Also a new TQi Transmitter, going to use the 2.4Ghz I had for our now second truck.

e32d2ccc.gif

058eeb6f.gif

202031a8.gif

1d628953.jpg

280279ab.jpg

Looking forward to getting out to try it. Heavy rain here at the moment, hope it stops soon or I could of done with getting a boat instead.