Traxxas Summit

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xrf183

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
hello, I'm new at this so i don't know if I'm doing this right. I'm interested in getting a Traxxas Summit. Can anyone give me their opinions?

Welcome to the forum! What do you want to use it for? Just bashing around and jumping or what?

Welcome to the boards!

Traxxas Summit = FUN truck

The Summit really is about as versatile a RTR truck that you will find. It's not screaming eagle fast, it's not a "great" crawler and it doesn't handle like it's on rails. However, it IS an all around fun truck. Be sure to invest in a couple quality battery packs and you'll have a lot of fun with the Summit. I have one and it's everything I expected it to be. It's quick, plush and has the ability to go places an E-Maxx can't. I think it's a great vehicle.

Welcome to the boards!

Traxxas Summit = FUN truck

The Summit really is about as versatile a RTR truck that you will find. It's not screaming eagle fast, it's not a "great" crawler and it doesn't handle like it's on rails. However, it IS an all around fun truck. Be sure to invest in a couple quality battery packs and you'll have a lot of fun with the Summit. I have one and it's everything I expected it to be. It's quick, plush and has the ability to go places an E-Maxx can't. I think it's a great vehicle.

Do you recomend something waterproof, fast and a good Crawler? Thank you, for getting back with me.

I'm not a crawler guy so I can't say what is "good" or not when it comes to that specific segment of r/c but I can say that there more than likely isn't any rig out there RTR that is the best of those worlds for $500.

Specifically, what kind of driving do you expect to do with whatever rig you buy?

I'd say you're on the right track with the Summit. I have two IB5000 7-cell packs in mine and it's plenty quick for my yard. I can't wait to tear up some snow this winter. I think I'm gonna take it out today and run a couple packs thru it.

unless you want a crawler for crawling i would say the summit it can do some crawling lots of bashing and waterproof with some decent speed super fun truck

So.. I've never really been a huge fan of crawling but then again I've never done any... till today with my Summit. My neighbor has a bunch of wood for burning so I figured I might as well see what I can get into... I'm working on posting the video now.

I just got my Summit on Saturday and like a few others have said if your after a good all around truck then by all means get it. I've tested every aspect of the truck except taking it into mud and snow. Its waterproof so dont worry there. I will say I took it to a local dirt track and it handled ok, it rolls and flips fairly easily. But all around its a great truck to have fun with. If you know anyone that has one try and play with it or see if a local shop will let you test one out, ours here does and its a great way to find out what works for you. Dont forget to get a good 7cell battery for it, I have both 4200 and 5000 7cells. I know they are spendy but shell out the cash on the batteries. You'll understand if you buy cheap ones. Wish ya the best of luck.

summit

Thank You so much for the info. I have wanted a summit for a while now. I ordered one on Tuesday. Can't wait to get it. I live in tn. by the ocoee river where they go white water rafting. They have to top part of the river closed off with only a foot of water and lots of rocks, so I'm looking foward to that. And my back yard is woods and I am going to make a trac in there. Thanks for the info. ....

my buddy has one of those summits and my other buddy has a e-maxx .. and if u like to mud bog and snow bog it is the poop.. walks all over the e-maxx .. but there are some weak points on the summit.. my buddys rear locker broke a week after he got it and a few rear shafts... but other then that it is a really cool truck.. good luck

newtorc - If your buddy broke the outdrive on his Summit go ahead an contact Traxxas. They may hook you up with the new part. Traxxas got a batch of bad outdrives and that was a common failure for a string of Summits when they came out. I had one break on me and after a little web research I found out the same. I contacted Traxxas and they sent me the parts (for both diffs!).

Summit is a great truck but I will be completely honest, right out of the box both steering servos were toast. Now a few weeks later the motor goes out, and the high low shift has issues, the guy at the shop had to play with it. Appears to be working now but who knows for how long. My first impression of the truck is that its fun, but what little beating I've given it well its not taking it so well. Now my E-Revo has been smashed into the ground hard for the past year and the only thing thats broken was one wheel flew off the truck about 3 weeks ago.

Well, I've had my summit for 2 weeks now and love it. It's been through mud puddles, water, and so far so good. I want to thank everyone for all your input. I'm sure I'll be around to ask some more questions.

get the new e maxx brushless just came out a week ago it can do 65 out of the box

the summit comes factory waterproofed but i use plasti dip around the servo and esc just for added protection

I am saving up for a Summit too!

get a hpi flux it is more reliable just waterproof it.i have a post up here on how to do it.my summit went thru 2 esc and the diffs break all the time my flux has no problems at all

Back