Traxxas Stampede XL 5

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfienew

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a 6 year old son and he wants a monster truck like his dad's for Christmas. I have a Tmaxx 3.3 (tttoooo much truck for a 6 year old). I am looking at getting hime the Traxxas Stampede XL 5. I can reduce the speed by 50% with the stock gears and a smaller battery that can be about 10 mph. What are you guys thinking, will this be a good choice for him. He lives at the track with me and wants to race with his dad. But I want to be careful not to turn him off with too much truck. At the same time I don't want to go to Wal-Mart and buy junk that he won't use 2 months later.

Any imput is appreciated

Thanks Guys
Newfienew

I think it sounds like a great plan. You have plenty of room to turn up the performance as your son grows and/or his abilities grow. Lucky boy for sure!

I have two of the Traxxas Stampedes. One new one and one old one. My sister that's 13 placed 2nd with it in a open class race. Since that weekend I have upgraded our older Stampede with the XL 5 speed controller and 12t motor. If he is stuck on wanting a MT then you wont go wrong with the Stampede. But if you could get him a Traxxas Slash then that's were I would go. Our new Slash is awesome.

I have a brushless stampede and a brushless slash, the slash is much more fun.

If he is going to race you might also look at the Rustler it will be more foregiving and not tend to roll as much because of its lower center of gravity, but like the other guys said the Slash has gotten great reviews and if I had the cash I would go out and get one my self...

As for a monster truck, if that is what he wants, would be a great beginner truck for a 6 year old. The Slash is good too but if he wants a monster truck, then the Stampede is a great starter. I have a 6 year old and a 7 year old and they are both all about monster trucks. But when dad takes out the Slash, they love running it too. So really think about it, if you only have monster trucks or that is primarily what you are running, that is probably what he will want to run too.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys. I really appreciate your response and input. My son will be more than happy this Christmas Morning. He'll have a new monster truck!!

Thanks Again

Thats cool for him He will love it. My son is only 2 yrs old this past weekend. We got him a little $15.00 4wheeler for his birthday with a remote and he is already getting it to go backwards and forwards.

if it was me, i would definetly stick to a 1/18 scale MT. they are loads of fun, cheap to fix, easy to use, and when your son gets older promise him that he will have a big one like daddy. that would be insentive for him in the future. and you can always sell it later and get a stampede. i had one a few month ago and its a great beginner truck as i learned to control my Revo.

but its great that your son is into that already. hope you guys have fun together!

Back