Traxxas Slash overheating or not?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The RC Car

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have the Traxxas slash 4x4, and recently it has been overheating very quickly which automatically stops the throttle from doing anything, which is great, except I took it out today for the first time awhile and it overheated so quickly (about a minute) I thought something was up (and it was cool outside), I felt the ESC and motor and the receiver/water-proof wire box, and the last was the only thing that was barely warm. The red light on the ESC was blinking like it usually does when it overheats. I let it cool down, and it just kept blinking, after a while I just had to unplug it because I couldn't turn it off or do anything except steer. Does anyone know what's going on?

Running lipo? You might have a problem with your pack. Could be hitting the low voltage cutoff.

Running lipo? You might have a problem with your pack. Could be hitting the low voltage cutoff.
do you have a low voltage meter? check battery.
yeah maybe, I don't have on of those, never heard of them, if there was a problem with my pack wouldn't it stop giving the same amount of power though?

yeah maybe, I don't have on of those, never heard of them, if there was a problem with my pack wouldn't it stop giving the same amount of power though?

They have sophisticated circuitry in the ESC & rec. that detect anything that is wrong ,one of them is low voltage an another that
protects the lipo battery if the ESC is set to regular ni-cad battery!

There is steps that you go through to reprogram the system ,If the red blinks can mean a couple of things wrong ,including
no signal from the receiver ,faulty battery or low battery ,but the system also has to be programed to what type of battery
that you are using ,a different color light will indicate that too ,like a green light!

It might be best if you check out the Traxxas radio set up vids ,there is like 4 or 5 different vids on different types of
program set ups ,it is confusing!

They have sophisticated circuitry in the ESC & rec. that detect anything that is wrong ,one of them is low voltage an another that
protects the lipo battery if the ESC is set to regular ni-cad battery!

There is steps that you go through to reprogram the system ,If the red blinks can mean a couple of things wrong ,including
no signal from the receiver ,faulty battery or low battery ,but the system also has to be programed to what type of battery
that you are using ,a different color light will indicate that too ,like a green light!

It might be best if you check out the Traxxas radio set up vids ,there is like 4 or 5 different vids on different types of
program set ups ,it is confusing!
I was using a LiPo battery, the ESC was blinking steadily. The receiver was connected to the transmitter, I could steer and the light in the receiver box was green. The batt was balance charged. I had just bound the transmitter to the receiver bc all the electronics were new. I had it set for a LiPo batt.

brushed or brushless? Traxxas brushed motors do burn out fairly often when you do a lot of bashing.
Monday you can call 888-872-9927 and talk to a traxxas rep that will talk you through it.

brushed or brushless? Traxxas brushed motors do burn out fairly often when you do a lot of bashing.
Monday you can call 888-872-9927 and talk to a traxxas rep that will talk you through it.
mine is a brushless

mine is a brushless

Have you pulled the motor from its mount an checked the gears to see if there is any chipping or anything
that maybe jamming ,any of that might over heat it an shut down ,or maybe too tight of gear mesh?

Also ,make sure that there is no running gear binding ,like diffs or any wheel hubs locking up!

Have you pulled the motor from its mount an checked the gears to see if there is any chipping or anything
that maybe jamming ,any of that might over heat it an shut down ,or maybe too tight of gear mesh?

Also ,make sure that there is no running gear binding ,like diffs or any wheel hubs locking up!
Yeah maybe, I'll check

Okay, guys, I found out the culprit! It turns out that the Motor fans heatsink was falling over and rubbing on the center driveline, also the receiver box had excess wire from the Motor fan in it, I fixed those and now it works great!

Thanks y'all!

Back