Traxxas S-Maxx Snow tires?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike5698

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well I'm looking to make my s maxx a snow plow I know it's not a good idea but I want to try it. I also want tout better tires for snow any ideas if soo were can I get some

I don't live near snow, so I don't have personal experience. I've read good things about the paddle tires and Trenchers from proline.

IMO (And I do live around snow) straight paddles. The Smaxx is only 2 wheel drive. Once you get the smallest amount of snow on your plowblade I would imagine you would just start spinning as opposed to the Tmaxx and its 4 wheel drive

doesn't seem practical but sounds cool and will be a fun little project! Post some pics throughout the process as I would love to see this!

Paddles will only work good in the deeper snow, once you hit ice there will be zero traction.

I've seen a few custom setups using mini studs thru the tire but never tried it. Suppose if you can find a screw not only small enough but would fall out it may work quite well.

You could also try chains.

Nailed it! For a plow set up you'll need to make custom snow chains. Once you plow down to the pavement it's not going to be nice to those paddles. But having said that, a sport max for a plow rig isn't such a good idea, the low speeds with little air flow, and constant load on the engine are going to be really hard on it.

There will be low speeds but the ambient air temp should be below freezing, which should allow the motor to remain cool.

There will be low speeds but the ambient air temp should be below freezing, which should allow the motor to remain cool.

True, but the motor will under a lot more load than normal when pushing snow. The really low speeds involved are going to work the clutch much harder as well, building way more heat than usual. It's the same reasons why nitros don't make good crawlers. Worth a try? Meh, maybe (although I wouldn't do it), just keep a close eye on temps. This is one of those times where an electric rig is truly suited to the task.

Last edited:
I dont know of much that is practical in this hobby!!!!

haha you have a very valid point. I just spend 900 bucks between buying my T-Maxx and upgrades all for what, just to have fun haha. The only people that could ever understand that are on this forum.

I already have 4 wheel drive and reverse upgrades....... Lol I would never try it without 4 wheel drive.

I would put a winch on the front and add a fourth channel. just so the plow doesn't drag when you back up Seems more realistic That is what I plan to do with my T-Maxx

I dont think this guys been around since he posted this a year ago

theres a catapillar conversion on ebay pricy though 200 dollars. a nitro catapillar thats just crazy but i would love to see one all the same.