Traxxas S-Maxx drive probems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Hutchboy76

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Whats up,
I have a old S-maxx, it hadn't been used inawhile and I desided to take it out and screw with it. The first thing I did was switch the engine, it now has a new 2.5r with a pullstart. The old engine had been seized from improper maintence, eleven year old who didn't know a thing about these trucks. The truck ran great after the engine was replaced and a good cleaning. Then I decided to upgrade the transmission with a reverse kit. This went together great, no problems there, until now. The problem is that it won't drive well, at first it wouldn't move at all. I took the transmisson apart checked all the gears to make sure they weren't stripped or broken. Everything looked good and nothing seemed to be broken internally. The inner drive clutch bell housing moved great, no sticking. The engine clutch is the original, although it is an old one, before the engine was replaced the truck had only been driven maybe five times. The spur gear is warped and I think this is the problem but, I dont think that the slipper clutch is what is bad having not been used that many times. I did mess with one of the output gears clutch. I'm not sure how many turns I screwed it in or which one it was, I'm guessing the forward gear.
Thats about it what do y'all think is the problem?

Well first you need to do a proper engine break in.

It's a two stroke engine, I'm not to worried about the whole engine break in. I have always done propper after run maintence to the engine and carb. The engine really isn't the problem. Well it might be the old clutch which i want to swap with a new three shoe. I took the spur gear off to check it out and it doesn't have slipper friction pegs, absolutly none but i have never had the spur gear off before. How about the output gear settings, just keep ripping it apart if its messed up? Any one know what stock settings are on them?

You need to get friction pegs (12 are recommended) for the spur before you can diagnose anything.

And the engine, if new, NEEDS a proper break-in....it's your money though.