Traxxas Revo 3.3 truck or Losi 8ight 2.0 bugg? Help a guy who's been MIA for 10 years

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HYDE

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Truck or Buggy? That's probably a question that's asked 10,000 times over on RC forums.

This is my first post in this forum. I've been out of game for about 10 years and have been putting in hours of research to pick out my next truck or buggy. I’m looking for an extremely durable RTR kit and my price range is at a max of $600. While I'd like to bash around in grass, dirt, street and snow, I'd also like to get into some local dirt tracks for racing. The RC I would get would need to do both. I'm between two RTR kits right now, the Revo 3.3 RTR (model #5309) and the Losi 8ight 2.0 4WD RTR. Both come with radios, electronics, great engines and great components.

The Losi is obviously a lot higher priced @ $630 online but comes with the track wheels & tires, one of the best radios (Spektrum DX2 Radio System), starter box, etc. The Losi 8ight can be raced right out of the box for $630.

The Revo 3.3 is lower priced @ $400 online and comes with a good radio (TQ 2.4GHz 3-channel radio), E-Z start electronic system, etc. I would look at the Revo platinum which is more of a race truggy but it is not an RTR kit and needs some electronics which would put me over $600. I would not mind tinkering with this truck and upgrading parts right off the bat. I could use the Revo 3.3 as a baseline then add the Revo Platinum components all for less than the cost of the Revo Platinum kit.
-performance sway bar kit ($30)
-lightweight aluminum turnbuckles ($25)
-push rods ($7)
-extended wheelbase arms ($16)
-center differential to balance power distribution ($40)
-rear brake kit, works with center differential ($20)
-response pro tires & 3.8" white dish wheels ($70)
The Revo 3.3 can be raced after some upgrades over time for $608.

Losi 8ight 2.0 features:
Spektrum DX2 Radio System
Starter box
Team Losi 427 engine
Innovative drivetrain layout with centrally mounted engine
Oversized, hard anodized shock bodies with threaded collars
Centrally located dual stage air cleaner
4mm thick machined aluminum chassis plate
Removable one-piece radio tray with separate boxes for the receiver and battery
Two battery box tops for different size receiver packs
Staggered brake disk sizes for better brake balance and feel
Sealed front and rear differential housings keep dirt out of the gears
Zero bump steer design with adjustable Ackerman
Captured hinge pins require no retaining clips
Four shoe easily tuned clutch with oversized inner bearing
3391710574_4f57aa4cb3.jpg

losi8ight2rtr-1.jpg

Revo 3.3 features:
TQ 2.4GHz 3-channel radio
EZ-Start push-button electric starting
TRX 3.3 Racing Engine (backed by Traxxas Lifetime Engine Replacement Plan)
GTR™ Aluminum 3.43" (87mm) shocks
3mm 6061-T6 Aluminum chasis
OptiDrive electronically controlled transmission
Pull handle for fast fueling
Heavy-duty reversing transmission with exclusive OptiDrive Electronic Shift ModuleDual digital waterproof ball-bearing servos with 250 oz.-in. combined torque
traxxas_5309_coming_024.jpg

traxxas_revo_33_1.jpg

I guess the major question is, can current owners of these models attest to their strength and experiences to help me weigh the scales?
Have you used these models for bashing and racing?
How durable are they and can you provide any feedback?

Thanks a ton guys.

I just went through the same thing trying to decide. I ended up going with the Revo and love it. But I'm sure i would of been happy with Losi also. It has realy been pretty tough the only part i have broken is a front a arm and that was because i ran it into a mail box. Good luck on your choice and this site is great fro info and I'm sure you will get alot of great info from alot smarter people then me.

I am also a newbie but if I has too i would buy the revo. I like the electric start even though it is just another thing to replace. I also like the life time engine replacement very cool.

I think you will have more fun with the Revo. Had both and they are both very good. The Losi is more a track car and you won't have much fun bashing around on grass. The Revo is good and you can have fun with it anywhere. When you decided to go racing you can get hop-up if necessary. :D

Well i guess it all depends on the racing in your area and how much racing you want to do lots of tracks have MT classes and all tracks usually have buggy classes.I would say if you want to race 75% or more go with the losi.But for say 50-50 race bash you would be very happy with the revo(which can be very competitivefrom what i have seen in racing)Buggy's really arent good for bashing.

Thanks a ton guys, I appreciate the quick feedback. Right now I think I am looking for a 50/50 between racing and bashing. I'm going to visit two local fields in North Jersey to see what classes they offer.

I guess when it comes to versatility, I could buy the Revo 3.3 for the monster truck setup for bashing (a-arms, suspension, wheels/tires, etc.) but then I could also buy the upgrade components to swap out parts to make it a truggy for racing. I would buy all of the necessary parts to convert it to a Revo Platinum. From comparison on the Traxxas website, I found that these are the parts I would need to install in order to convert it to a Revo Platinum:

-performance sway bar kit ($30)
-lightweight aluminum turnbuckles ($25)
-push rods ($7)
-extended wheelbase arms ($16)
-wing mount ($10)
-wing ($20)
-center differential to balance power distribution ($40)
-rear brake kit, works with center differential ($20)
-response pro tires & 3.8" white dish wheels ($70)
-Revo Platinum body if there is a way to buy this pre-painted ($??)

Is there anything else I am missing or am I incorrect with the list I compiled? Has anyone else installed any other upgrades with success or noticeable improvements?

I am also a newbie but if I has too i would buy the revo. I like the electric start even though it is just another thing to replace. I also like the life time engine replacement very cool.

H20man, what do you mean "electric start = another thing to replace"?
Does this mean that the EZ-Start system has problems or wears out fast?

If you want to bash and race occasionally....you're best bet might be to go with the Losi 8T RTR Truggy instead of the buggy. The buggy is a great race rig, but not so great for bashing (depending on where you bash of course). The Revo is great for bashing, but most places don't race Monster Trucks anymore...if your location still races them...Revo 3.3 is a GREAT option. Truggies are a mix of the 2 so they tend to work pretty well on more terrain choices. You can bash it pretty well, but they aren't quite as tough as a Monster Truck, and they are VERY potent weapons on a race track. So they really are the best of both worlds.

Oh and a Revo will never be a "Truggy". You can make it sort of look like one.....and sort of perform like one....but it's still a Monster Truck and 9 times out of 10 a true Truggy will blow it's doors off ;-)

Just my .02 cents....

I bought a Revo 3.3 at the start of this year. My friend who was supposed to be reviving his old Revo at the time instead bought a used Losi 8ight truggy and came to out to bash one day. What was us taking turns driving my Revo around turned into me holding my jaw out of the dirt as I watched his truggy rip around the field, launch every jump bigger, and absolutley destroy our little "track" we had laid out. I've since bought a losi 8ight T myself, gotten into racing and haven't even looked at the revo since. Even with the $200 I had put into converting it to a Revo Platinum and then some, it's currently in a thousand pieces as it waits on me to rebuilt it on a new chassis that isn't bent to all hell.

To sum it up, go with the truggy. Best of both worlds, way easier and more fun to work on, and if you make it out to some races you'll be hooked.

I was looking at the 8ight 2.0 buggy but the 8ight-T 2.0 truggy looks sweet as well. I guess the truggy would be a happy medium between both the revo monster truck with racing parts and the 8ight buggy.

Losi all the way. Both are great choises but I think once you give racing a go you'll find tuning and upgrades make a lot more sense when you have a reason to go faster and harder. Bashing gets old quick where as racing, even casual racing, focuses your efforts, you'll get more out of it.

Much appreciated guys, now I just have to decide between the 8ight buggy or 8ight-T truck....

I'm going to check out the local track next weekend to see which class is stronger but I think I'm leaning towards the 8ight-T truck so I can ride off-road, grass and street.

I think I would go 50/50 for racing and off-road driving.

Sounds like you have it worked out.. I love buggies but you will beat it all to hell just playn' in the yard. It's nothing to tweak your truggy to get a little ground clerance and tear up your back yard... Larger tires make for more fun in the grass...

After all of the input the Revo looks like fun but it seems even with the upgrades it won't be able to compete in a Truggy class. I feel the Losi 8ight-T 2.0 truggy may be the way to go although their buggy is a little cheaper and looks real sweet. You can't beat the RTR version with Spectrum radio, electronics and engine in both options. These two Losi RTR kits offer higher end accessories and components over the Revo (even though I'm paying the difference).

I was looking at Team Associated too but they are mainly non-RTR kits. The only RTR kit is the RC8T-RS RTR which I've found for $570 online. Haven't heard much about it or seen reviews.
http://67.199.85.166/main/productdet...ory=2000.offni

I found the Losi 8ight-T 2.0 Truggy for $750. That's a big difference in price but it seems the Losi has more features. I found the Losi 8ight-T 2.0 Buggy for $630 online. If I go with the buggy I could save $120.

I'm hovering between the Losi buggy or truggy still but I found this article which sums up the best buggies and truggies for 2009:

http://www.myrcbox.com/?p=1454

Now I just need to decide between the both of them. I'm going to head to the local track next weekend to check out the scene and see what the majority of racers use (truggy or buggy) and then add in the bashing factor to see which can be used on and off track. I think that I'll be on the low end of bashing (basically just street and grass) so a Truggy may be the way to go so I can bash and race.

I've got the Team associated SC8 which is based on their buggy/truggy platform. One of the differences I've noticed between Losi and Team Assoc. is that Losi uses 4mm anodized aluminium parts for chassis and shocks towers and such where as Team assoc. uses 3mm hard anodized aluminium parts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've researched.

Hard anodizing is a more costly finishing procedure, but produces a hard finish equivalent to tool steel. It's more wear resistant than a typical anodized finish and produces a lighter, stronger part.

If you compare the weight of a race ready Losi and Team assoc. I'm not sure what you'd find but I do know the lighter you can make either truck/buggy the better. Bashing a heavy vehicle can end in many broken parts, plus the lighter you can make it the smaller the engine you can use which means longer run-times on the same sized tank.
Eitherway, the Losi 8ight-T 2.0 is a killer package if you don't already have a 2.4 radio. If you already have a radio you want to use you can always sell the Spektrum radio the Losi comes with. The extra length in the Losi chassis gives you extra stability in the air and on flat drags down the track.

Last edited:
I have the 8ight 2.0 buggy, but I rarely use it since I still haven't made it out to race yet. My Revo still gets the attention right now. If I could do it over, I would've gone with the truggy for the versatility. I pretty much just stare at the buggy (it still makes me happy to look at it) and occasionally rebuild it.
Frickenjoey - do they import that Zero Life beer? I think I could use some.

Back