Traxxas Revo 3.3 problems!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12yamaha

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
My buddy has a Revo that runs fine for a while then won't run at all. He says there is black oily gunk around the exhaust manifold. He has a Jato 3.3 that runs fine so I don't think it is his tuning since both have the same engine. Any help would be much appreciated.

same engines usually need a different tune.

But what would cause the oily gunk all over the exhaust manifold?

But what would cause the oily gunk all over the exhaust manifold?

A leaky exhaust header seal/o-ring at the engine where the header bolts up, cracked header that your not seeing, torn/loose header-pipe coupler, loose glowplug/bad seal at the glowplug, loose head bolts or a damaged head shim. All of which cause bad/erratic tuning and running, the latter three would cause really bad tuning.

Keep in mind, running the 2.5 in a jato is far more forgiving than running it in the revo. The revo weighs twice as much and has a lot more rotational mass for the same power your running in the jato. So a rich 2.5 in the jato will still run like a screamer, but run cool and appear to have plenty of power (thank you two speed! ;)), but with the revo weighing so much more and so much more rotational mass, that little 2.5 has it's work cut out for it.

IMHO, I still can't fathom what traxxas was thinking by putting a small block engine in a MT. Just stupid. That 3.3 should have came out when the first 2.5 came out. I mean, the 2.5 is a powerful engine for it's size, but a 4wd MT needs more to be efficient and trustworthy.

Believe me, I've had the same delimma. You will never get the engine response out of the 2.5 in the MT that you see in the jato. You may get ok performance, but it's night and day difference.

I've had a t-maxx 2.5, revo 2.5 and jato 2.5. The only vehicle that I didn't flat out loath the 2.5 in was the jato. In the jato, I really like it. Reliable, runs cool, plenty of power and loads of RPM's. The maxx and revo need at least a good .18 in them to haul them around nearly as well as the 2.5 in the jato does.

Sorry... beating a dead horse.

Last edited:
Back