Traxxas rally, best handling rc?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogda89

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys! Recently I bought used Traxxas rally vxl first gen. I have a bunch of rc cars, including all Traxxas cars based on slash platform and arrma infraction and limitless. But I am really impressed with rally, it was my daily driver for the last 10 days, I have over 20 packs and yesterday blu rear tire because it was warned down 100%.

In my experience it's the best handling rc car for parking lot bashing. Onroad cars are just too low to the ground and little suspicious travel for rough parking lot. Infraction is a beast ,but it's too heavy, and kind a less agile, it varies a lot of momentum. Rally has relatively long suspension travel but more stable than slash for example. It's not that good for drifting like infraction but definitely more agile.

What do you guys think about Traxxas rally
I forgot to attach a picture
Screenshot_20220808-001431.png

You should try 1/8 Buggy with Rally tyres.
Great handling, performance, and fun

HT-454.jpg

hobao-hyper-vse-elektro-buggy-hb-vse-pic2_0017_600x600.jpg

Example the Arrma TLR Tuned Roller Typhon Buggy 1/8 or Hobao VSE, they are already build from Factory as rollers.
Or search after Typhon v5 Slider

The traxxas is too Plastic, / Toyish / Old / too light weight
4-6s you have no handling.

Buggy 1/8 are serious RC cars, very stable
no Toy plastic Like the Traxxas Rally feels Toy grade and too Light Weight

You should buy Buggy 1/8 and Rally convert it

Buggy 1/8 Roller or Slider and:
Rally body and Wheels. They are super fun onroad and soft offroad at Medium weight, great stability and handling.
Real RC

Traxxas Rally are fun toys.
They put a smile on your face. So nothing wrong.

If you need something hardcore, serious. 100% Real Grown up RC Rally car, you should make a Rally Convert of one 1/8 RC Buggy without doubd.

I did build one self, when my friend saw it, he got crazy , he needed it bad, and i was kind sell him this.
I will build another one to me and keep it this time

@Bogda89 Looks like a fun car, I use my 6S Arrma Typhon with street tires for parking lot bashing. The bottom line is, that your having fun! I really like the look of your rally car. :thumbs-up:

Awesome looking body. Hey I got a question do you suggest grp s5 or s7 for parking lot driving, not drifting. Is s7 harder than white hoons?
DSC_1584.JPG

DSC_1587.JPG

Thanks 🙏👍
I would go with hoons, GRP gets grippy when it's gets hot
But more speed with GRP, but it's takes more power to drift on GRP like hoons

View attachment 150336
View attachment 150337
Thanks 🙏👍
I would go with hoons, GRP gets grippy when it's gets hot
But more speed with GRP, but it's takes more power to drift on GRP like hoons
That's the best looking rally I have seen. As you know Traxxas rally is not that good and stable for drifting like infraction or limitless. Once back end looses control it's hard to do a controlled long drift, it likes to either spin out or get traction. That's why I don't plan to drift with it, just regular high speed driving around parking lots and racing with friends. But I am not sure should I go with s5 or s7 compound.

I plan to do some mods, may install 2400kv motor and esc from maxx, grp tires, I have some big bore shocks from other models, and firmer springs. It's definitely one of more underrated Traxxas cars. Maybe one of the issues is that vxl version is discontinued, and regular Ford fiesta rally is ridiculously slow. If Traxxas introduce vxl version again with 3670 motor from hoss or Maxx, and maybe fresh body, I think it could compete with small infraction or vendetta

That's the best looking rally I have seen. As you know Traxxas rally is not that good and stable for drifting like infraction or limitless. Once back end looses control it's hard to do a controlled long drift, it likes to either spin out or get traction. That's why I don't plan to drift with it, just regular high speed driving around parking lots and racing with friends. But I am not sure should I go with s5 or s7 compound.

I plan to do some mods, may install 2400kv motor and esc from maxx, grp tires, I have some big bore shocks from other models, and firmer springs. It's definitely one of more underrated Traxxas cars. Maybe one of the issues is that vxl version is discontinued, and regular Ford fiesta rally is ridiculously slow. If Traxxas introduce vxl version again with 3670 motor from hoss or Maxx, and maybe fresh body, I think it could compete with small infraction or vendetta
Thanks buddy

It's al depends on setup, stock rally is not a drifter
That slipper clutch needs to be changed to a center diff, shorter shocks to
That rally i ovn had this setup
X01 shock, x01 shocks, center diff 1m diff, custom spool at back, center brace, spiral gears
Max6 with the velioen 2200kv motor
Snap so many driveshaft on it

GRP are great, those Toyo Proxes are also really nice

DSC_3684.JPG

But still nothing to compare to a infraction that has a good setup

Best thing I did was going from the rally to infraction and limitless , even the 6s Typhon with same rally body is more me 😊

But the setup you talking about getting sounds great,
Light weight is fast to

Thanks buddy

It's al depends on setup, stock rally is not a drifter
That slipper clutch needs to be changed to a center diff, shorter shocks to
That rally i ovn had this setup
X01 shock, x01 shocks, center diff 1m diff, custom spool at back, center brace, spiral gears
Max6 with the velioen 2200kv motor
Snap so many driveshaft on it

GRP are great, those Toyo Proxes are also really nice

View attachment 150370

But still nothing to compare to a infraction that has a good setup

Best thing I did was going from the rally to infraction and limitless , even the 6s Typhon with same rally body is more me 😊

But the setup you talking about getting sounds great,
Light weight is fast to
I have infraction, it's another beast, can't compare, I have limitless as well, but didn't have a chance to put it together, I have a lot of projects and not too much time, and on top I am more of a nitro guy.

I really enjoy lightweight rc cars. I usually drive at the parking lots so having a super fast heavy car makes me nervous not to hit a person or a car.
Yesterday and today I have done some mods. I swapped 3670 2400kv motor from hoss, mod 1 gearing, 16 pinion 36 spur, I might go for 19t. Hoons tires from limitless. I tried to add preload front and rear because car was very low to the ground but I had only big shock spacers and that was too much. Since it was so high and could not squat camber was decent going straight, but not in the corners, and wheels were touching only outside edge in the corners. I removed preloads for now, it has a perfect camber gain and camber when ride high is low to the ground, just had one pack with lower setup and it's amazing. In future I may try to raise ride height again and mess with camber and camber gain adjustments.

Right now with this setup it should go around 50 to 55mph (calculated, definitely a little bit faster then stock vilenion stock gearing that is geared for 45mph but motor was running super hot all the time. Big 2400 kv motor runs 130 degrees agressive driving, so definitely it's good for 60 to 65mph 3s.

Shocks have only one whole, in manual it's says 2hole pistons running 40w rear 50 front. I went with 35 all round, it's quite stiff but will do it for now. I also got a cheap 3$ 50mm fan, it's not powerful, but I guess it will help a little at least when car is not moving, will cool it down

Attachments

• IMG_20220810_174530488_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220810_174530488_HDR.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I have one of the original Traxxas Rallies and with the Proline Rally tires, they are just fun. Unfortunately, Proline doesn't make the tire anymore.

Back