Traxxas power up program - help me settle some rumors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will26

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I've heard that the power up program doesn't help the hobby shops money wise, is this true?

Yea, the mark up isn't that high to begin with plus the shop has to wait for Traxxas to replace the engine which is a few weeks at least. To be honest with you, unless I'm going to a bigger engine I wouldn't do the trade up. My LHS sells the 3.3 for $130, a 3.3 through Power Up is $110, for the extra $20 I would have a spare carb, cooling head, and case. This is assuming you didn't destroy those items on the engine you're replacing. I will talk to my LHS and ask about it again, but I know the thing he hates is the wait.

No problem, what are you looking into?

You can get a 3.3 on ebay for 100 bucks, it's never worth giving up the old engine.

i put a O.S. 21tm on my jato. bolt in. way more power. dont run the slipper clutch to tight. the more power lets you use a higher gear, ie more top speed. i am thinking of running up to %50 nitro.