+Traxxas Nitro Slash 2 wd want to upgrade my spur gear/slipper clutch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankvee

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just smoked the slipper clutch on my 3.3 2wd slash. What would be a good upgrade from the stock one? I am just backyard bashing. I just put a fresh pair of proline badlands 3.5 rear and kept the proline badlands 2.8 on the front. I also have 15mm extenders all the way around. The truck handles much better now but melted my spur gear.

Just smoked the slipper clutch on my 3.3 2wd slash. What would be a good upgrade from the stock one? I am just backyard bashing. I just put a fresh pair of proline badlands 3.5 rear and kept the proline badlands 2.8 on the front. I also have 15mm extenders all the way around. The truck handles much better now but melted my spur gear.
Slip eliminator. That's what I have on my Jato. A little harder on your clutches because it's more direct, which means it must be running at it's best, or sudden labor and it may stall. where with the slipper it would slip and maybe not stall. I personally love it. I also have all steel gears you might wanna do that also.

Attachments

• IMG_20210331_043634.jpg
    IMG_20210331_043634.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 1106200934.jpg
    1106200934.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 304
Slip eliminator. That's what I have on my Jato. A little harder on your clutches because it's more direct, which means it must be running at it's best, or sudden labor and it may stall. where with the slipper it would slip and maybe not stall. I personally love it. I also have all steel gears you might wanna do that also.
That picture is old it has the slipper spring on it. I used that as spacers until I found that wheel spacers work perfect

Attachments

• 20210424_172519.jpg
    20210424_172519.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 228
Finally someone here knows what I am talking about .Jato nice very fast. So I d like to give you a lil back story. A few weeks ago I bought a new clutch hr racing 3 shoe. A couple of weeks ago I had bought some proline badlands 3.5 to see if it would drive better off road.Last week I took it over to my friends house and ran the slash for about 30 minutes. So I did notice it had a lil bit more power and it was not flipping over all the time and since it had wheel extenders it was handling a whole lot better. My friend and I where just backyard bashing but my truck was running great I did not let off the gas much until I left it running for a minute gave it full throttle and it just jerked a lil thats when I saw the spur gear had just melted in the center. So what I was thinking was the new rear tires wider and taller plus the new clutch and shoes where just to much for the spur gear/ slipper.I dont know much about the jato but is it a nitro/and does it have the same trans in it? What brand slipper delete did you use? Where did you buy the internal gears for the trans box? If its not to much to ask....

Just bear in mind the tighter you run that slipper the more you risk damaging other driveline components. 3.5s are a really big tire to run on a SCT and will put more strain on the driveline.

I think hot racing is where I bought my Eliminator and steel gears..doubtful anything is interchangeable with our powertrains. except motors spurs and most bells. I'm not sure if hot racing or maybe another company makes steel gears for yours... I would definitely look into it especially if your thinking of an Eliminator.

Jatos a 3.3 nitro 2wd 2speed tranny, with optional aftermarket single speed conversion kit. I didn't and would never turn mine into a single speed. I mostly run mine on large blacktop parking lots as fast as fast can be. Electric doesn't scare this ole smoker off any parking lot!

Attachments

• IMG_20210410_153820.jpg
    IMG_20210410_153820.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 184
Do you think I could put a 2 speed tranny into the nitro slash its a 3.3?

Do you think I could put a 2 speed tranny into the nitro slash its a 3.3?
Anything is possible in this hobby. You’re only limited by your budget and creativeness.

I have been out of the game for a few years now, so maybe I’ve missed some stuff but as far as I know.....
If you’re looking for a drop in replacement, the answer is no. I do know that I’ve seen guys put a Jato transmission in a Nitro Rustler, which is what the Nitro Slash chassis is based on. So, it’ll come down to how much money/effort you’re willing to put into it. Google 2 speed Rustler for inspiration.

Thank you for the info. If I happen to get my hands on a jato 3.3 tranny and somehow install it and make it work I will update you for sure. Thanks again....