Traxxas EZ-Start question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
A friend and mine are having a debate of sorts on something we dont agree on and I'm wondering what other peoples experiences have been with the Traxxas EZ starts. Are the brushed motors on the ez starts water proof just like every other brushed or brushless motor are. I mean I realize if you get electric motors wet you have to maintenance them to keep grime, dirt, rust etc from fouling things up and I realize that the nitro engine itself can only take small amount of water without being damaged but all in all are the water proofed the same as any other brushed motor would be?

I don't think they would be, considering there is a couple of holes in the motor can & the end bell that water can get into. Maybe if they were covered then it would be water proof to a certain extent. It would depend on how much water got onto it & if it could get in anywhere else after the holes were covered. Water & electrics don't go well together, although my uncle completely water proofed his Tamiya wild Willy jeep years ago, he could drive it fully submerged with just the top of the antenna sticking out of the water.

Dont normal brushed motors also have holes that water can get into also? It doesn't hurt them. I'm much more familiar with brushless motors than brushed but I've read many many times that brushed motors are just as water proof as brushless motors and it seems like one brushed motor would be the same as any other but maybe theres something different? Maybe all brushed motors are not created equal?

A little bit of water splashed onto it shouldn't affect it. I've submerged traxxas brushed motors before w/o issues.

I've run traxxas electric motors through water without problem, run my summit through a dam and she still going good now just afterward get some eletric motor cleaner and give it a spray and oil the bearings

I've run traxxas electric motors through water without problem, run my summit through a dam and she still going good now just afterward get some eletric motor cleaner and give it a spray and oil the bearings

i run mine through deep water, and i have to be honest, despite all the water i run through, my ez start work great !

Water will not hurt the motors, its the same a breaking in a brushed motor in a cup of water before you run them, although it will need a good cleaning afterwards.

I'm kind of surprised it doesn't hurt at least some brushless motors. Maybe the sensorless ones can handle it, but I can't imagine the sensored ones can.

Like tmaxxfreek said, people break in brushed motors by running them completely submerged in a cup of water. I don't know why, may help with arc'ing until the brushes are ground into the comm.

brushless motors can't get wet, as for brushed it like you said helps seat the brushes onto the rotor, Said to make them last longer but i have had mixed results both ways.

Back