Traxxas Bandit with Velineon 3500

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacks9930

Vroom Vroom Beep Beep
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just put new set up in my Bandit, Velineon 3500 motor, VXL-3s ESC, and a 25c 3S lipo Battery. I'm running a 76T spur gear and 31T pinion gear. And may I say holy $#!% this set up is fast. I can only run at about half throttle or it will just flip over. At one point I was at 3/4 throttle and hit a 1" stone which lanched it about 3 feet in the air.

My motor is running about 200 degrees and I am woundering is this too hot?
What are the best running temps for this motor?

Last edited:
I'm not very knowledgeable with electric but that sounds a bit high. From what I've read and heard the temp range should be around 130-150 f. Like i said though I'm not very smart with electrics. So maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong so then i will know better as well.

The temp sounds fine. Anything between 200° and 230° is good IMO.

go down a couple teeth on your pinion you wont loose a very big amount of speed and your temps will drop, sounds like its way to fast to control anyway so a drop would help with controlling the car as well.

So 200 degrees is good, sweet. I'm going to put the 28T pinion gear on just to keep the rubber on the rims. Acording to the manual I just dowloaded I was set up for 70mph+. I need to find some new tires that can handle the speed.

I think Hamz was talking about a nitro engine.....a brushless electric motor shouldnt go above 160F or you risk damaging the magnets.

you're also gonna need to weight the front end down, vent the back of the body, and maybe lower the ride height or it will come off the ground. At least my Rustler does at about 65-70+MPH. The Bandit may be a little different.

Last edited:
I think Hamz was talking about a nitro engine.....a brushless electric motor shouldnt go above 160F or you risk damaging the magnets.

you're also gonna need to weight the front end down, vent the back of the body, and maybe lower the ride height or it will come off the ground. At least my Rustler does at about 65-70+MPH. The Bandit may be a little different.

No the bandit is the same, I don't have the high speed pinion on and run just 2s and it does that. I did do a mod for the wing and put on a better proline wing and it help it stay in control more, well the wheelies are more in control lol. But seriously getting rid of that crappy traxxas wing helped the control alot. All I did was drilled some holes in the shock tower to line up with a Losi 810 buggy wing mount and got a proline wing and done. Handles alot better and looks alot better and as alot more sturdier then the crappy traxxas wing.

Anaconda tires will handle the speed. And you will need the wheelie bar to hit top speed, and a really nice road. Although I've never checked my temps on the rustler, I will say it gets super hot!

Sniffing too many paint fumes from my latest paint project. lol I was thinking nitro. 150-180° is good.

HPI Street Hawgs would be a better on-road tire for speed. You might want to line the middle inside of the tire with a couple of wraps of strapping tape to help with the ballooning problem.

+1 on adding weight to the front end and a better wing at the rear. I had to do the same thing with my micro Desert Truck. Too much power on too light a chassis.

You dont want to strap your tires for high speed runs. Learned that lesson the hard way. It throws them out of balance even more than normal and it really becomes evident at 50+MPH. Anacondas are risky at 50-60+MPH. Pretty much at about 60MPH they ballon into pizza cutters and if you do that to much you will eventually blow one. Learned that lesson the hard way too. The best High speed tire for the rear would be Ipanemas (you can get them here http://www.brucknerhobbies.com/Ipanema.htm ). You can also use GRPs (you can buy them from the same website as Ipanemas) some people use them on the 100+MPH Rustlers but I've blown a GRP out before. I have yet to blow an Ipanema from just going to fast. For 70ish MPH speeds though GRPs would be fine. The problem with Ipanemas and GRPs is you have to buy 17mm wheel adapters to use them cuz they are designed for 1/8 scale on raod cars. For the front you can use Jaco foams on the front if you dont plan on more than 70MPH and they should be fine. Personally though Id probably buy the Ipanemas though for the added weight they provide. I dont believe they are much more than the Jaco's but the wheels adapters are quite expensive. Front is kind of a toss up at 70MPH. Any faster and the foams will be to light but up to 70 they should be fine.

Last edited:
Back