Traxxas 4-TEC Or HPI RS4 RTR3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banksie312

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
HI
I'm just getting into Nitro racing cars. I was trying to decide between Traxxas 4-TEC or the HPI RS4 RTR 3. THey are both nice but the Traxxas has a 2 speed transmission, but it is a belt drive which i heard can be a pain due to rocks. I will primarily be driving on parking lots and things like that. The HPI doesn't have the 2 speed tranny, but is shaft drive so there are almost no rock problems. If there are any other ideas that you have for me, please respond, I'm open to all ideas. Thanks A lot.

i have the rs4 3ss. its shaft driven, 2 speed trans, and is great for bashing. the only thing is that its a kit. which isnt too bad if you have basic mechanic skills and want to get to know your rc quick. i recommend it highly for someone starting out and just wants to get used to driving an rc in parking lots. i wish you luck in this hobby,or addiction.

cesar

Sup dude,

Welcome to the addiction like the above poster pointed out. I love real cars and happy plenty of awesome ones but lately I've spent more money on toy cars then real ones...lol.

I have the Nitro 4-Tec pro that's now running a bad ass Sirio .18 (T-maxx 3.0) engine and it's one of the if not the fastest nitro cars on the outdoor track here. The car is rediculously fast (hell, with the 2.5 it was really fast) I've already won 2 out of 3 races with it here and twice some jealous assholes tried to put me into a wall cause they couldn't out run me or out drive me...lol (actually that same guy almost got his ass kicked that same day as people don't phuck around when it comes to that).

I'm sick of screwing with Belt drives so I'm selling my 4-Tec pro but both belt and shaft drives have their pros and cons. I actually preffer shaft drives for the most part and I'm selling all of my belt drive cars and my baby, my electric Losi XXX graphite.

I would go with a nice ass and proven Team Associated Nitro TC3 (many kits can be had with lots of factory hop-ups) or some of the other great and proven shaft driven cars like the HPI's...kit or RTR.

FYI.....we radar clocked my 4-Tec with Sirio .18 @ 66 MPH @ sea level and I don't even think it was topped out...lol.

Peace

66 isnt much faster than with the stock engine.Traxxis claims the 4tec goes 60 stock.

6mph is 10% faster than what Traxxas claims....10% is a lot, and with that engine it could be more if that thing was geared down some.
Out of the 2 cars, the 4-Tec and the RTR 3, my vote is strongly for the RTR 3. Yeah, the 4-tec comes with the 2 speed and the more powerfull engine, but those are the reasons I'm saying to stay away from it.
You're just starting out, so the last thing you need is a car that will go 60+mph. The RS4 is MORE THAN fast for anyone starting out, and when you get used to the controls and want more, you can install the 2 speed. When you get used to that, you can go out and get a more powerfull engine, which you would have most likely done anyway because the 2.5 would probably give you hell. The 2.5 is not a beginner's engine. It can be extremely difficult to tune (the consensus here is that with the 2.5 you've got a 50/50 chance of getting one that is easy to tune and runs great, or getting one that is a nightmare to tune and doesn't run consistently at all).
IMO, the RTR3 is just plain a better looking car. It looks more nicely laid out, and more of a racer to me.
Whatever you get you'll have a friggin blast with, after all this is the bestest damn hobby/past time in the whole wide world. :beer:

PS after you get your new car, don't forget to get a second job HAHAHAHA jk.

faster is better!!!! after breaking it a couple of times you will get used to how fast to drive it. just because its fast doesn't mean you have to push it 100%. its better to have and lose than never have at all.

Originally posted by highflyin
66 isnt much faster than with the stock engine.Traxxis claims the 4tec goes 60 stock.

Sup man, I should have elaborated a little. My 4-Tec Pro with the Sirio 3.0 IS PHUCKING BALLS TO THE WALLS FAST. I currently have it geared for more low end and I'm assuming that with proper top end tuning she could do 70MPH with that motor with relative ease. The track that we raced on had ALLOT of tight spots that required full breaking @ times so low end was of the upmost importance. Not to mention that I'm pretty sure it would have reached 2 more MPH if I stayed on it longer but the track isn't big enough. That car screams out of corners and out of the hole and the only thing that could out run it was one of those crazy ass Shuemacker touring cars with a .21. It's also somewhat lighter then a stock 4-Tech which makes some difference. You can bet your arse that I have a Venow fail safe it in as most touring cars don't do well when they hit the wall @ 66+ mph...lol.

Oh well, I'm selling that bad ass to my buddy anyway.

Peace

People use to make fun of my 4-tec too. Till I dropped in a Novarossi from the great late Ron paris. Then I started whoppen some butt on the track. everybody was hating on my car because it was not really a expensive race car. I guess I'll be mad too if I spent $1000 on a on-road car and then to get beat by something cheaper. With the right tuning it hit 74 mph, radar gun, but thats not on a track but on a long parking lot. But now its a friday night drag basher with a .21. I have not timed it yet but I am guessing it has to be hitting atleast 85mph. Rule of thumb, its not how fast your car is. Its how you drive it . you can have the fastest car but if you can't drive it around the track corectly ur not going to the mains. The person with the slowest car, Who can drive will get you all the time. :write:

Originally posted by shadey26 ntc3

Rule of thumb, its not how fast your car is. Its how you drive it . you can have the fastest car but if you can't drive it around the track corectly ur not going to the mains. The person with the slowest car, Who can drive will get you all the time. :write:

So true bro, I've sad this a million times and I'll say it a million more...lol.

The indoor track that we run on is very tight and their's nothing legal about the motors most peopel are running...lol. This kid with a 12 turn mod gets really pissed when I spank him with the my 19 turn TC3 or even worse my 27 turn Losi. The guys that average the most wins are running 27 turns cause they can drive the chit out of them...lol.

I would love to c what my 4-Tec would do with top end gearing on the drag strip..hehe. I wont miss it though, another day another car...eh.

Peace

Back