Traxxas 3.3 wont idle.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrAllthat

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a 3.3 on my revo and it will not idle without stalling. I checked the tune and reset it to factory settings. The idle screw is flush with the Carb body and wont screw in anymore as if it is stripped. There is a gap in the Carb about 1mm so I would think it should be OK. I am really fed up with this motor to be honest. I can't get it to consistently run good. I have a redcat with a 3.5 and it always runs good. I've also broken less on the redcat which pisses me off.

sent from Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

is the glow plug bad? try replacing the glow plug. Let me know if that works. When did you get the 3.3?

Do your wheels turn as you start it? Has the engine ever been sealed? What's the temps when it dies? Does it do it all the time? Or just when it is warmed up allthe way? The more info you supply, the better we can help.

I just realized my 3.3 T-Maxx has the same problem, but the more fuel I run through it, the better it runs. Mine likes to try to slowly pull/jerk away on me, so the LHS is lean. I just say check your glow plug, if its good try richening the HSN to give it more fuel. Also I usually dont like to play with the idle screw, but it may be set too low. I'm not sure, I dont play around my my Maxx much. I have lost all interest in Traxxas products.

Ok I know the clutch is fine and the glow plug is brand new. The front bearing had a slight leak but seamed better after putting thread lock on it, which was recommended by someone. It will start right up and stay running if I am on the throttle but as soon as I let off it just stalls. The idle screw will go flush but no further in. If someone can check theirs maybe mine is stripped. Do all of yours screw in past flush? I am talking about the idle speed screw and not the idle mix screw btw.

yeah mate I've got 3 trx 3.3's and all only screw in untill they are flush.. how old is the engine..? my first two which are older run great but my new one I'm only 3 tanks after break in and I'm still finding it hard to get it to idle properly.. mines the opposite tho its idling to high.. I'm gonna hang in there tho untill the piston and sleeve really start to relax.. good luck.. I've found not to many ppl here like Traxxas but i personally love them and the Revos..

If you tried to adjust the idle screw with the rx on, the force of the servo trying to hold its neutral position may cause a stripped idle screw journal. The screw won't strip, the carb does. Because it's composite. If you come to the conclusion that the threads are stripped, you can build them back up with ca or quality super glue. Using a small piece of wire, get it wet with the glue and apply it around the outside of the hole. Let it dry for at least a couple of hours. Then thread the screw back in. This is a touchy solution though. Too much glue, and the screw won't go back in. Install the screw with the glue still wet, and you'll have a fixed idle position. Most likely the wrong position.:) Do this at your own risk!:) But if the carb ends up being messed up, what's there to lose?;) Just be careful and use your best judgment.

StevoRevo:
I don't think that the members of this forum generally dislike Traxxas.
Personally, while I usually reach for/run a Savage before a Revo, it's not because I dislike the Revo.
I just really like the Savage (which was my first MT) more than a Revo (which I like more than the T-Maxx).
There are times though when I run the Revo and not the Savage - but the T-Maxx just collects dust.
I’m just more of a basher and the Savage fits my style (or perhaps lack of style).
My biggest bash against Traxxas products is for what I perceive to be a Quality Control issue and to a degree maybe a quality of parts issue.

I see that a lot more members of this site complain about having to seal their Traxxas engine due to an inordinate amount of air leaks compared to other engines.
I've personally pulled the backplate off of a 2.5 engine to find an o-ring that had a ring of flashing around it. That's something that I've not encountered on any other engine in over 10 years in the hobby.
I've also seen a piston/cylinder combination that literally had gaps in the pinch zone - where the piston never fully mated with the cylinder - which means complete compression was impossible.
I've found metal filings in brand new engines (but to be fair I’ve seen that in other manufacturers engines too).
I've given up on trying to use their cheesy blue o-ring in the Revo's differential.
They leak like a sieve and I've yet to see a stock Revo diff that holds it’s fluid.

OK I think I might try rebuilding the threads. This truck I bought used so I am not positive on its age, but it has the newest 2.4ghz radio from traxxas so it can't be that old. Yes I did adjust idle with the rx on since that made sense to me. They really should have used an alloy Carb. This is my 2nd one in a month messed up. The SH .21 is still going strong though with no issues. Wish I had a bb on the revo

Have you done the pinch test on it? After the engine is warmed up, do a few high speed passes. Pinch the fuel line as close to the carb as you can. Should take between 2-3 seconds to rev and cut out. Any more means your rich on the lsn. Which would cause a low idle.

Thanks TGL good to hear.. i also hear bad things about their after sales service but as i live in australia i dont deal with that side of things.. like i said i live in Aus and over here i struggle to find ppl who even like MT's.. every1 here seems to be right into Team HoBao Hyper's.. or just Truggies in general..

I've only had one after sales experience with Traxxas and it was a positive one.
I had bought a Revo off of eBay and needed a rear bulkhead for it.
When that arrived (again an eBay buy) two screws and the diff retainer were missing from the package - and I needed each of those parts.
(Back to my opinion about Traxxas' Quality Control)
I contacted the retailer and they had several other rear diff's in stock and only one had ther rear diff retainer in the package (QC again).
I called Traxxas and they shipped a whole new rear bulkhead set-up out to me in less than a week.
So personally, I'm happy with their customer service.

I had it tuned good and did a couple rolls. Shortly after that it just randomly stalled. I figured air bubbles or whatever from rolling. I just put it away after that. Found a bad glow plug (too lean) and replaced that. Didn't mess with the tune and it refused to even come close to idle. It will run all day if I stay on the gas. Like I said ill check out the idle screw later and see if its stripped. I'm also going to check for blockages in the fuel hsn.

OK I switched to another traxxas Carb I had in good shape. It starts easily and had decent power but it will now randomly stall after a short high speed burst. I also switched to an OS 8 plug which didn't change anything. I did notice that after it stalls you have to prime it a small amount to get it to restart. I have already pressure tested the tank. Could it be the tuned pipe. I did dent it on top a bit.

Switched to a 2.5 motor I had and problem solved. Found out the ear on the piston in the 3.3 had broken off. Whatever was there broke into bits inside the engine. I think ill run the 2.5 til its dead for now.

I have a 3.3 on my revo and it will not idle without stalling. I checked the tune and reset it to factory settings. The idle screw is flush with the Carb body and wont screw in anymore as if it is stripped. There is a gap in the Carb about 1mm so I would think it should be OK. I am really fed up with this motor to be honest. I can't get it to consistently run good. I have a redcat with a 3.5 and it always runs good. I've also broken less on the redcat which pisses me off.

Hi

I had the same problems with my Traxxas Revo 3.3 that would not idle or run.

I have uploaded a YouTube that may help you get your engine running like mine.

Hope it helps.

No mention of a fuel filter anywhere? Common issues with idle is blockage in carb needles.

Thank you for your comment. The only fix for me was to modify the carb as I tried all over possibilities and only this worked.

Another common problem is the stock plastic exhaust. It will leak causing low pressure to tank and the pressure nipple can get blocked from burnt oil not allowing any pressure to tank.