Traxxas 2.5r carb issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prophet216

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
My traxxas 2.5r carb on my nitro rustler is falling apart. Compression is good and engine still in great shape. However it stalled on me and wouldn't start back up. Trying to deduce the problem I noticed fuel was leaking down the carb by the nipple. I then noticed the HSN was not tight to carb assembly, when trying to tighten I noticed that it was actually stripped and I could just pull out the whole HSN assembly. So my question is should I just replace stock carb, or should I go with a different carb that will fit the traxxas 2.5r? Thanks in advance

I'd replace it with the stock version since they're cheap and work.

Cheap and easy is an option. However I wouldn't mind spending a lil bit more and getting something made a lil better, maybe a lil less plastic.

I would tend to agree with the stock replacement. That is, unless you can find one that is designed to work with the same displacement, has the nipple located in a functional location, that the neck size is the same, that the carb linkage will work with, that the air filter will work with, that all the set screws will be accessible.... Do you see where I'm going with this??? A LOT of what ifs and drama...
Just my opinion tho... You may get lucky and find a perfect direct drop in... I wouldn't hold my breath tho.

The only other carb I know of that fits and works well isn't worth the cost. The carb off the OS18TM or 21TM. Zero tuning problems with those. Power is about the same, but will hold a tune all day long. I only ran one on my 3.3 because I had the 18TM from a previous rig. I think it's something like OS 11K carb.

This one: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHKW5&P=FR

Made my 3.3 actually hold a tune and be tuneable.

You can try a losi 3.4 carb. Has a larger throat ID and boosts bottom end a bit. I tried it on mine before giving up on the 3.3 and it helped, but then it started binding on me after about 5-6 tanks. Also composite body like the traxxas carb. The linkage on a revo is annoying, so may work better/last longer on your rig.

The only other carb I know of that fits and works well isn't worth the cost. The carb off the OS18TM or 21TM. Zero tuning problems with those. Power is about the same, but will hold a tune all day long. I only ran one on my 3.3 because I had the 18TM from a previous rig. I think it's something like OS 11K carb.

This one: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHKW5&P=FR

Made my 3.3 actually hold a tune and be tuneable.

You can try a losi 3.4 carb. Has a larger throat ID and boosts bottom end a bit. I tried it on mine before giving up on the 3.3 and it helped, but then it started binding on me after about 5-6 tanks. Also composite body like the traxxas carb. The linkage on a revo is annoying, so may work better/last longer on your rig.

I think Os actually tells you what the size of the carb throat is! I didn't know they make one
specific for the taxxas!

It wasn't made "for" traxxas, but it does fit. They did make a few engines specific for traxxas trucks though. The 18TM and 21TM. They also had a 18TZ that was more standard that was similar in power to the 18TM, but could crank out more RPM's. I think all 3 used the same carb.

If that's the case, if the stock carb just will not do... That's the way to go! Something designed to go right in to a traxxas??? PERFECT!!! (so long as the throat will fit right anyway!)

What I like about Os ,is they don't compromisie in anything ,they are true to their word on their product hands down .no
plastic or composite BS!...:D

Idk if they use composite on some of their carbs or not but if they do, it's for a purpose build. They don't go cheapo on their products. You do pay for that... BUT you aren't throwing money just for the name.

Idk if they use composite on some of their carbs or not but if they do, it's for a purpose build. They don't go cheapo on their products. You do pay for that... BUT you aren't throwing money just for the name.
They use a silicone or teflon insulator on the neck which makes it larger and tries to avoid vapor locking the carb when the engine is hot. At least they do on the 11K

I'd just get the stock. Cheap and reliable is what you want :)