Transmission Shifting

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Static

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys, new to the forum. I have a HPI Savage X SS 4.6. It seems to be running great (with my limited knowledge)...but my question is - should I HEAR the truck shift into second. If I should, which I'm not, how should I start the adjustments?...trying to make it shift earlier or later in the adjustment? Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Nigel

I've had it since Christmas and I have run +/- 1.5 Gallons through it. I didn't do much with it December/January or February so it hasn't been running that long I guess.

If it's tuned correctly, with good punch off the line and good top end, it should shift.
If you think it's properly tuned and still not shifting, you'll need to adjust the shift point. Check the manual for the proper location, and turn it just a little bit at a time, and run it before turning it again. Since it's apparently in first, you'll want to turn it counter clockwise, or from 12 O'clock back to 11.

Rolex,
Thanks....I'm just not sure if it is shifting - should I be able the clearly hear the shift when it happens or could it be smooth enough that I would hear it?

You would definitely hear the RPMs of the engine change, even if you were running on crunchy gravel.

When you hit full throttle from a dead stop, how does the truck behave?

It will pull the front end right up, flip if I'm not careful. The top end seems fine - if I'm not getting second then this thing is really gonna fly when I do. I will try and get it to shift later and see what happens.

I just needed to know how it ran from a dead stop to WOT, since a bad tune would keep it from shifting.
So, since that's not it, you'll need to open the rubber cap on the trans and adjust it with an Allen key. Your manual will give you the size.
It's not the one going straight in. That's the one that locks to the center shaft. It's the one off center. Just turn a little bit at a time, and test it till you get it where you want it.

I just noticed in your previous post that you said "shift later".
You are apparently in first, and you want it to shift earlier, since it's not hitting second at all. Turn it counter clockwise.
Good luck, keep us posted. Just don't turn it out too far. If you do, you'll need to open the trans to get it back.

If you have enough running room you can easy through the throttle to try and hear it shift but like Rolex said...you should hear it. The only time I have had trouble hearing it hit second is when it would shift very early...mid rpm but I could notice a slight stall in acceleration and that point.

Just don't turn it out too far. If you do, you'll need to open the trans to get it back.

I learned that one the hard way.

I changed my shift point the other day, and it said go by 1/4 turns... being the hack I am i went 3/4 turn to see the difference... hehe. spun off the line and changed to second gear within 10 meters of launch... I backed it off a little. haha.