Tranny problem i think?????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh2276

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok to start off i have a 2.5 maxx that i upgraded the motor to a 3.3 about a month ago. The truck was running great until the other day when me and my buddy were drag racing in his field (soft grass,not to high) and on the third race i would hit the gas and the truck sounded like it was slipping instead of lifting the front tires off the ground. When i got the truck back it stalled, i restatred it and it wouldnt rev all the way.....it sounds like it is booging and as far as movement it does move about a 1/2 mile an hour at full throttle.

I hope that is enough info, thanks for the help

I would guess your slipper clutch has works itself loose. It's the nut that hold the spur gear on the shaft. Since you are drag racing go ahead and tighten that baby all they way down. Generally speaking, you usually want to keep that nut adjusted to about 1/4 turn off of fully tight but when you are drag racing you need it to transfer 100% power so keep it good and tight. Just remember to take a 1/4 turn off of it if you start doing jumps and general bashing or you will run the risk of stripping a gear.

I probably should have said that did fully lock up the slipper and then back it off a 1/4 turn. i am a basher so i jump and drive over just about everything the maxx can handle....my buddy just got a savage x and wanted to see who was faster and after the third pass it craped out.

I did take my spur gear off and the slipper clutch pegs are even with the spur gear.

not sure if this helps

Your slipper pegs are definately worn then. They should be slightly wider than the spur. The material of the spur gear is too slippery to provide enough grip against the slipper disks. That may be causing it to slip but I would imagine you should still be getting more speed out of it than what you are describing... I'm sort of stumped here.

check your clutch... you may have a broken shoe.

Hey Lessen thanks for all of your help so far.....i did take the e clip off of the front of the motor and checked the clutch shoes and they look good, no breaks,cracks or uneven wear. Do you think i might have a motor problem instead of a tranny problem?? I have the motor out of the truck right now if i were to start it it should rev up pretty freely like a weed wacker would??

Last edited:
piston top looks great, new problem now is that my 6cell pack for the easy start took a crap....need to hit the lhs......this is becoming a frustrating hobby.

if the engine is running then it should not be a problem with it. check your flywheel and make sure the nut is tight on there. the flywheel may be spinning on the collet. if that isnt the case put the mill back in and start the truck, hold it still and slowly rev it up. look and see what is spinning and what isnt. follow the path, Clutch bell, spur, trans shaft, driveshafts, outdrives. find where you are loosing power. i would guess the slipper or the collet.

wasn't the tranny...but what happened here

Well i figured it out and man was i way off....the truck sounded like it was slipping when i hit the throttle, but one thing i didnt notice was the sound difference from the exhaust. It would keep locking up when i would try to start it so i figured it had some type of fuel problem. When i went to investigate this i found that the tip of the exhaust was almost pluged solid with melted plastic.....not sure why but that is what was there causing the extreme pressure to the fuel tank causing the engine flooding. Now i need to figure out where or why this melted plastic ended up there.

Now my question is would me switching from the 2.5 to the 3.3, should i change the exhaust to the 3.3 pipe that comes with the 3.3 T-Maxx or just spend some cash and buy a tuned pipe????

Last edited:
Back