Trailer build.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinehyperlite

Original RCNT Nutswinger
Supporter
Police
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So i got started on a trailer build last night. Got this far and got stuck. Any opinions on how to make a deck? I want to build this to tow behind my scx-10 with either my crawler or my cc-01 on it. It uses high-lift unlocked axle, leaf springs, and high lift chassis rails. Hitch is kinda g-rigged, and will be made nicer later down the line. Any opinions welcome and appreciated as always.

IMG_0505.jpg

HAHA HAD to use the new rolex smilie.
:rolex::rolex::rolex:

Plastic sheets of diamond plate from Evergreen. NCNitro has used it on some of his scalers, and it's perfect for drive-on tracks.
The same company makes the I-beams for the cross pieces to support it.

Your frame looks perfect so far. What did you use?
EDIT:
Never mind. Just re-read it.

high-lift chassis rails. this thing sits really high. made it so i could pull down trails and such.

The diamond plate would look the best. (LHS) For the side rails the lhs would also carry the evergreen stock in plastic square or tube sections.
For all the in-between areas and possible sides, you could find the mesh used for forming clay sculptures in an art supply store.
It's a small version of what's called 'expanded steel mesh' in full size. If you can't find it, and would like to use it, I can send you some.
This is what it looks like:

CadGrill.jpg

With that screen and diamond plate, it's a perfect scaler trailer.

Looks like I'm heading to home depot. Let yall know what i find in a lil bit.

I don't think you'll find what you need there.
They'll have the diamond plate in 1:1 scale, and the expanded metal mesh is for backing plaster or tile work.

Strictly LHS and art supply items.

Looks like your off to a good start, I guess we won't be hearing from you for a while being as your going to home depot, real easy to loose track of time there, LOL!!!!

decided to do the first deck with wood. I know. i know. not that scale. but it seems to be the easiest to work with on the first build. so now i got a bag full of cut pieces and am about to start the puzzle.

I think wood is very scale. Like half the trailers I see on the road are metal framed wood decked trailers.

OK.... i totally fubar'd this thing. I give up for now...........

Oh come on man ur killin me, LOL!!! I was just getting into this build and ur already giving up, LOL!!!!!!

Man this sounds like another Cris-Craft build.

I'm not giving up on it, just going back to the drawing board. The main problem with the setup i had was with the suspension on the axles would shift really bad unless the load was perfectly balanced. The other problem, its using axles from the high-lift, which i doubt were wide enough to be able to withstand the weight displacement over the rig.

IDEA!!! Make wider cross members to open up the chassis, turn the rails inside out so the leafs mount on the inside of the rails and put a full stack of leafs under it, this should help stabilize it. For wood plank decking try to find some wooden rulers and mount them flat side up....Now quite bsing and get it going!

Back