Track gearing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The RC Car

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey y'all! I'm wondering what gearing I should have for my slash 4x4 on a track. The tracks straightaway is about 33 yards give or take. I have a 3500kv stock motor. the tracks surface is hardpacked clay.

Go to the track and ask other racers what they're running. Or, just run what you have. If you run out of gear on the straight, gear up, if you aren't almost tapped out by the end of the straight, gear down a bit. Alternatively, gearing down will give more punch off the corners, but make it somewhat harder to control, gearing up is the equivalent of short-shifting in the real world and can help tame the torque hit on slick tracks. We had a hard pack clay track here that was a real handful as there was always a layer of talcum powder-like dust on top. Being super smooth on the controls was the key, and if possible tuning your ESC, and throttle and brake expo on the radio both as well.

You dont gear for a track you gear for your motor and esc..temp is most important. A slash 4x4 requires 17 or 18 pinion on 2 cell (18)

You dont gear for a track you gear for your motor and esc..temp is most important. A slash 4x4 requires 17 or 18 pinion on 2 cell (18)
okay, should I go with the stock spur gear?

100% not true. You absolutely don't gear down or up till your frying electronics or running things hot, that's just common sense. But the guys and gals on the podium are gearing for the tracks they run on, always have been.

Podium standers dont have to worry about buying new gear when they cook stuff...sorry to say..I'm on the podium all the time .I've never geared for a track I gear for best performance of my gear,,, most of the time a rtr gearing is best + or - a gear tooth thats all.. so stock spur is best..

Podium standers dont have to worry about buying new gear when they cook stuff...sorry to say..I'm on the podium all the time .I've never geared for a track I gear for best performance of my gear,,, most of the time a rtr gearing is best + or - a gear tooth thats all.. so stock spur is best..

If you're cooking gear, you aren't finishing the race, much less getting on the podium. As stated, nobody said to regear at the expense of your equipment. Also as stated, I thought that would have been common sense.

Motors have a range of gearing that they like to be in. It's all about balancing finger control when trying to find traction. Different motors have different sweet spots. So many variables when you step into racing. ESCs and timing control options offer fine tuning for man and machine (toys). Just keep an eye on your motor temps. If you are maxing out the motors comfort zone, and needing more motor...try another motor.

Be smart out there.

Back