To update or not

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin’dually

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hello all this is my first post on the forum and was looking for some advice. I have been out of the loop for a while, my son is starting to get into RC cars and got his first one for Christmas. It got me thinking about getting mine out again so I did, it’s an old RC 10 and I think it has a issue with the speed control and I was looking at possibly updating it instead of replacing old technology. My question is I’m looking at the new brushless stuff and would it be better to go that route or just leave it in its original state and buy new. Thanks

Id probably rebuild it with new electronics. Do you remember which version of the RC10 it is?

Put a new brushed esc in it, brushless will probably be too much for the drivetrain and other parts. The Hobbywing 1060 should work perfectly in it.

RC 10 should handle a 17.5 or 13.5 power unit o.k. I had RC10T's upgraded to a variety of power units-21.5, 17.5 and 13.5 FT (fixed timing). No problemo.

Those are the power units I'd recommend starting with, e.g., 2s LiPo battery with BL (brushless) motor and ESC package. There is an option 2s HV (High Voltage) application. Take that into consideration in replacing the steering servo as part of the radio package.

Welcome to the forum. Cheers and good luck. 'AC'

Last edited:
RC 10 should handle a 17.5 or 13.5 power unit o.k. I had RC10T's upgraded to a variety of power units-21.5, 17.5 and 13.5 FT (fixed timing). No problemo.

Those are the power units I'd recommend starting with, e.g., 2s LiPo battery with BL (brushless) motor and ESC package. There is an option 2s HV (High Voltage) application. Take that into consideration in replacing the steering servo as part of the radio package.

Welcome to the forum. Cheers and good luck. 'AC'
Thats pretty much what I was planning to use in my RC10 gold pan. :thumbs-up:

Id probably rebuild it with new electronics. Do you remember which version of the RC10 it is?
Gold tub model, but pretty much completely rebuilt with aftermarket parts. futaba magnum junior radio
Put a new brushed esc in it, brushless will probably be too much for the drivetrain and other parts. The Hobbywing 1060 should work perfectly in it.
ok, looks easy enough and price is right, not looking for anything crazy expensive at the moment. I have the old NiCad batteries is that something that I should look at changing as well or does that just depend on the performance level desired

Last edited:
Gold tub model, but pretty much completely rebuilt with aftermarket parts. futaba magnum junior radio

ok, looks easy enough and price is right, not looking for anything crazy expensive at the moment. I have the old NiCad batteries is that something that I should look at changing as well or does that just depend on the performance level desired
2s LiPos are significantly better than NiCads, with the HW 1060 esc, you can use LiPo batteries.

2s LiPos are significantly better than NiCads, with the HW 1060 esc, you can use LiPo batteries.
Would my vintage Protech battery charger charge them? Or would I need to replace it as well?

Attachments

• 8DFD3F85-E168-4D2B-A7C0-2809C575F78D.png
    8DFD3F85-E168-4D2B-A7C0-2809C575F78D.png
    890.7 KB · Views: 29
Would my vintage Protech battery charger charge them? Or would I need to replace it as well?
You need a new LiPo charger, I recommend reading up on LiPo safety first. The charger I use is the Hitec RDX1 Pro, if you go on the Tower Hobbies website, you can sometimes get it for cheap.

Tower hobbies has an end of the year sale, Venom dual charger is on sale for $88, use the code YEAREND. This charger is $62 with the code YEAREND.

You need a new LiPo charger, I recommend reading up on LiPo safety first. The charger I use is the Hitec RDX1 Pro, if you go on the Tower Hobbies website, you can sometimes get it for cheap.

Tower hobbies has an end of the year sale, Venom dual charger is on sale for $88, use the code YEAREND.
Ok i will,
Really haven’t done much research on anything yet it is also new I’m just trying to understand what it all is out there now. Thanks for the help

From a vintage or collector standpoint, hang onto the NiCD battery and charger. Very possibly you can bring the NiCD back to life by cycling through a series a very low charge rates. 'AC'
I revived a 15 year old NiCad by cycling it, it now holds 200mah more than the stated capacity.

From a vintage or collector standpoint, hang onto the NiCD battery and charger. Very possibly you can bring the NiCD back to life by cycling through a series a very low charge rates. 'AC'
I can’t remember the last time it had been ran but well over 10 years,I hooked it up and it took a little charge so maybe i can coach it back to life. The problem I have is my speed control And/or remote.. I can’t get neutral out of it. When I turn it on it just runs wide-open and no function from remote.

I can’t remember the last time it had been ran but well over 10 years,I hooked it up and it took a little charge so maybe i can coach it back to life. The problem I have is my speed control And/or remote.. I can’t get neutral out of it. When I turn it on it just runs wide-open and no function from remote.
Is it an esc or msc? If it’s an msc, is your servo centered, and is the throttle trim set correctly?

If you go LiPo make sure your ESC is set for LiPo low voltage cutoff or you’ll puff your expensive new batteries or, worst case, burn your truck down.

If you think you may use the Novak ESC, there's a #5470 2-Cell Smart-Stop in my pit box you can have. It blips then shuts off the throttle and displays a blue LED to protect a LiPo from over-discharge. Let me know. 'AC'

Attachments

• 20211227_142222_2cell SmartStop.jpg
    20211227_142222_2cell SmartStop.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 29