Tmaxx steering issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coreygnar

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so lately my tmaxx is giving me trouble with steering.

i will turn it right and when i let go of the steering knob, it keeps turning right.
i even try correcting it by turning it left but it does nothing
once the car stops it can be corrected

i replaced the servo and it did the same thing (the servo i replaced it with was old, but never used)

the hobby store guy told me it was probably a stripped gear in the servo, but i find it hard to believe that because 2 servos did it.

help!!!!

Does the steering work properly when you hold it off the ground and go full left to full right? Does it center when you let go?
What servo are you using?

I'm using a traxxas 2055 stock servo

it seems to center fine

i also opened up the old servo and looked at all the gears, i couldnt see any stripped gears.
could this be a voltage issue?

There's your problem the 2055 is nowhere near big enough to turn the big tires get a stronger one like a 2075 waterproof servo.

but 2055's are the stock servos....
and it only does it with right turns

Yeah I know they are the stock ones and they suck! I use a 2056 waterproof servo for my throttle and brake and a 2075 waterproof servo for steering much more torque than the 2055.

Don't expect the stock servo to turn the tires when it's sitting on the ground.
Disconnect the servo horn and see if you feel anything binding when manually moving the front wheels from one side to the other.

Make sure your pillow ball caps aren't too tight and that the bell crank posts aren't binding. Check your servo saver while your at it. If you using the 4 aa battery holder, it's time to step up to a 5 cell hump pack. Go with something 1200mah or more. You'll also need a charger that can charge 5 cells at around 1 amp.

Make sure your pillow ball caps aren't too tight and that the bell crank posts aren't binding. Check your servo saver while your at it. If you using the 4 aa battery holder, it's time to step up to a 5 cell hump pack. Go with something 1200mah or more. You'll also need a charger that can charge 5 cells at around 1 amp.

hands down the best investment I made in mine besides aluminum bulkheads and rpm suspension arms. It was a change of 4 AA's every time I ran it.

LHS guys took a look and they said try replacing the batteries, i will and see

LHS guys took a look and they said try replacing the batteries, i will and see

If it was a battery issue, as in the batteries being worn out, then everything would be sluggish.. including the throttle controls.. there's got to be something else going on

well maybe there was, i havent had this truck for long. I would be able to tell if it was sluggish or not

Metalhead Matt said:
Make sure your pillow ball caps aren't too tight

+1..
Almost same thing happened to me on my Maxx and Revo and both time it was my pillow balls on too tight.. in a fault of my own though.. i was unaware their tighness made such i difference.. as soon as i backed off a little ( Not too much )..
Problem solved... well for me anyway...
Have you been fiddling with your tires or knuckles latley..??
Have you checked them yet anyway..??

it was the batteries
i replaced them and all the servos are way way way more powerful and responsive

with regards to the change to hump pack is it a direct replacement for the stock AA pack? i mean just cut and splice the positve and negative leads?

You can do that or pick up a new switch with the proper connectors on it. Traxxas makes one. It has the charge lead that sticks out of the bat box so you can charge the battery without removing it.