tmaxx starting problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fortknox71

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
New to hobby, hello all.
I have a Tmaxx 2.5 that I bought used. Ran it a few times and no problems. All of a sudden it will not start. When I try to start with the EZ start the light is not on for the glow plug. From what I read in the manual this should light up when you're attempting to start just like the motor light. The motor light does in fact light up. So I assumed it was the plug and rushed out to the hobby shop and spent my $7 for a new one. Same thing, won't start.
Excuse my ignorance as I'm new to this but when I try to start it it does sound like it wants to run. The flywheel is moving and all seems like normal but will not turn over. I don't know if this matters but there is fuel spitting out of the exhaust after I try to start for a few times. Is that normal? The guy at the hobby shop said either the plug or the starter. Any other experienced help would be greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss :(

Are you using the blue wire that connects to the plug or do you have a seperate glow plug ignitor? Also, did you make sure to prime the engine? (might seem like a dumb question, I know, but I would sometimes forget to do that and sit there trying to start). Fuel spitting out is normal for the most part, but you might also be flooded.

I removed the blue wire for the very reason that it was giving me problems with starting. As soon as I snipped off the blue wire on my new harness and used a glow plug ignitor, starting has been a breeze!! That might be your problem especially if you have replaced the glow plug already.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding theant.
Nothing you asked was dumb. In fact I have a dumber question....How do you prime the engine? I am not doing anything besides turning it on and then using my EZ start. I do see the blue wire and it's attached to the harness and then straight to the glow plug.
If you have the time and patience to explain what a glow plug ignitor is, I'd be all ears. Anything to help with starting. I'll snip off whatever I need to.
Thanks for helping a rookie!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=glow+plugs+igniters&search=GoTake the fuel tubing hose that is attached from the top of the fuel tank to the fitting on the top of your exhaust pipe and blow into it just until you see fuel enter the carb thru the other tubing, and then reattach it back onto the exhaust. Just make sure that you dont over prime the engine, or it will be a pain to restart due to flooding. A glow plug ignitor is just that! You would attach it to the glow plug thru the top of the cooling head and deliver the needed power to the glow plug rather than using the blue wire from the harness. Everything else would work just the same, but you get more consistant/stronger current flowing to the glow plug. To check that you're plug is still working, you could pull the glow plug and attach the blue wire to it while it is out and try to start it then. You should see the coil in the plug turn orange. In my case, the harness was fried and the blue wire was coming apart. Once I got myself the ignitor, I also noticed that the coil in the plug lit up even brighter meaning that it was burning hotter and resulting in a cleaner quicked start.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=glow+plugs+igniters&search=Go

Hope all of this helps you out....good luck!!

Last edited:
Again...many thanks for the help. I think I got it now. I also just watched a youtube video of exactly what you were talking about.
One last question. I will still use the EZ start wand along with the glow plug igniter correct? The wand will help me crank while the igniter heats the plug?
I'm going to get an igniter now and snip that freaking blue wire!

Exactly right! Its a great system without that blue wire.The wand still works just the same as before.

Last edited:
Exactly right! Its a great system without that blue wire.The wand still works just the same as before.

I have had a couple wands go bad that wouldn't ignite the glow plug you may try a new wand before cutting the wire and buying a plug ignitor if you didn't want to switch to a plug ignitor. A wand is a couple dollars and you will need a extra if you plan on keeping the ex start anyway so you won't be waisting any money.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

I have had a couple wands go bad that wouldn't ignite the glow plug you may try a new wand before cutting the wire and buying a plug ignitor if you didn't want to switch to a plug ignitor. A wand is a couple dollars and you will need a extra if you plan on keeping the ex start anyway so you won't be waisting any money.

Also it would turn the motor over and I didn't think anything was wrong with the wand and replaced all kinds of stuff just to find out the wand was bad. Live and learn. LOL

Anew ez start harness is around $5, so not expensive. And in my opinion, it is a much more reliable way to go when you have the ignitor. Besides, when you have to change out the plug, you have to piss around with the blue wire. Mine ended up getting frayed at the bottom where you have to use needle nose to put it back on the plug afterwards. Do what you want, but the wand and the ignitor are pretty much the same price and I doubt that the wand is fried, I thought that too, and when I went to the ignitor, problem solved!

Now when I put the ignitor on the glow plug and turn it over with the wand, it fires in 5-10 seconds, EVERY time. I used to screw around with the plug, would think that maybe it is flooded and prime more, try taking apart the wand thinking that it was the problem and none of them were the problem.

I will also add that I was close to going to the pull start system thinking that my ez start motor was burnt out, the wand was toast. I have had the same wand and ez start motor for 2 years now.....never had to replace anything.:p:

I know that I keep adding to this, but I just want to make it clear that IMO it was one of the best moves I made.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm still going with the ignitor. My local hobby shop is closed Sunday and Monday so I'm picking one up tomorrow. I'll let you know if it worked out or maybe you can help me some more!!
Thanks again

The other nice thing about my ignitor anyways is that it has a gauge on it that will indicate to you when the plug is shot. When I was out yeterday, the maxx was becoming increasingly difficult to start and keep started, and when I looked at the gauge, sure enough it was reading below the green meaning the plug is no longer any good so I put in another plug and kept going! I know that these pics might not be all that good, but I hope it will give you an idea. I am using the Prolux ignitor with wall charger btw. and as you can see I still have the ezstart harness intact minus the blue wire....can't get any better than that! If you go and get the ignitor and it still has problems, not to worry, you will have just eliminated one of them!

IMG_5305 (640x480) (640x480).jpg

IMG_5300 (640x480).jpg

IMG_5304 (480x640) (480x640).jpg

IMG_5306 (640x480).jpg

Last edited:
Very true! I like eliminating possible problems. I'm feeling more experienced every day! Thanks for the pics. Helpful stuff. Clean truck too. You should see mine it's pretty beat. At least it was short money. Once I get used to this one I'm looking forward to getting a new one out of the box so I can put my own battle scars on it!
I hope my hobby shop has that type of Ignitor. That gauge seems pretty damn helpful.

Yeah, get one with the gauge for sure, they are better IMO. My Tmaxx does look pretty clean, although I do go over it when I get home and give it a bit of a cleaning. If you search and read all that you can think of on this forum, you will learn tons! Anything you can't find, post a new thread, and there are alot of guys that can help you on here. Any pics of your maxx? We all like to see what the other guys have!:redbuggy::buggy1:

theant thanks for the help! I got the Ignitor the other day and just fired it up today. Guess what? Started right up! I've probably started it ten times since I got it and it works every time.
Time to tune her up a little better but at least she starts! Thanks again

Hey, you bet...I know what its like to be stuck and all you want is to be able to go out and rip around. You'll be alot happier with the ignitor for sure.