Titan 775 specs, thoughts, and price.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

destrucktomaxx

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Traxxas prices the Titan 775 at 41 dollars shipped. From what I understand and have read, it SHOULD be a bit better than a K.D. 700HO as far as torque output and run times go. However, the K.D. motor does come with a pinion while the Titan does not. Also, the Titan is of course pre-terminated and the K.D. is not (for an extra 8 bucks it could be)

The Titan has 3 degrees advanced timing and is a 10 turn motor.

The K.D. 700HO has 15 degrees advanced timing and is a 9 turn motor.

According to the Traxxas parts guy I spoke with, the motors are pretty evenly matched in the majority of all aspects, I.E. run times, torque, speed, etc. He however could not specify amperage, wattage, or if the motor was bushed or bearing. Nice guy overall.

For the price, its a toss up.

I took the flux rings off my 550's (the rings around the motor cans with the Titan stickers on them, marked the front motor of course) and the instant change in RPM and power was audibly and visually noticeable. On sticky asphalt the nose likes to point skyward, on anything less tractive all 4 wheels spin nicely. Add a little reverse to the equation and a fat trigger finger equals wheelie on ice (no joke, I wish I had my camera). If anyone has any thoughts as to how to go about measuring the shaft RPM on the motors, feel free to PM me.

I for one, can't wait to stick one of these puppies in my E-Revo. Running a 19 tooth pinion and the 65 tooth spur, it should scoot.

Hmm. I would think the TRX motor would yield slighly longer runtimes with the less advancement being less.

I took the flux rings off my 550's (the rings around the motor cans with the Titan stickers on them, marked the front motor of course) and the instant change in RPM and power was audibly and visually noticeable.

this is the first time I have ever seen someone mention doing this. I can't find anything else online about it.

What is removing the flux ring supposed to do exactly?

It allows the magnetic field to weaken around the motor, causing the rotor to actually spin faster due to having to work less hard against the stronger magnetic field. This yields less torque from the motor but more rpm.

how do you take the flux rings off

Thanks. I read online that the flux ring increased the magnetic field. So I got thrown off, I knew that a weaker field would take away power from the motor, but I didnt think about the fact that it would make it easier to turn, and therefor achieve higher RPM.

So how much more speed do you think you gained? Did it take away much acceleration due to the lower torque?

If I had to guess, I'd say 3-5K RPM increase, maybe more. I do know however that its wise to switch out the 19T pinions for 17T because the motors get quite a bit warmer than normal with the rings removed.

Take a flat blade screw driver and twist it between the split in the ring and then pry it off. Remove the sticker and tape it to the motor for added sticker HP :p

If I had to guess, I'd say 3-5K RPM increase, maybe more.

How much do you think that increased your top speed? What about acceleration? I would like a little higher speed for clearing jumps but if it kills acceleration I would not be able to use the increased speed when there is limited run up to the jump.

I do know however that its wise to switch out the 19T pinions for 17T because the motors get quite a bit warmer than normal with the rings removed.

That seems it would defeat the purpose (or some) of taking them off in the first place. You would gain back some of the torque loss but loose some of the higher speed.

I am trying to decide if doing this mod would be worth it or if I should just go ahead and get a better motor. This is the GFs revo and it is her first RC. She is getting better at driving and is getting that "need for speed" itch. She just isnt ready for the power of the mamba monster system she wants. So I want to step her up a little before getting it. I just dont want to spend a lot of money on a motor that will end up getting replaced in a couple months.

Thanks

Then get her a K.D. motor. I didn't switch my pinions out, mainly because my LHS didn't have any in stock. I just think it would be wise to trade out the 19's for 17's. But if you don't mind the motors getting a bit hot, then its ok to run the 19's.

As long as it dont hurt them to bad, it isnt a big deal. As long as they last until she is ready for bigger.

I'd worry more about the batteries than the motors. My batteries also got quite a bit warmer but I was beating the piss out of the truck so that comes with the territory. I'm in the process now of rebuilding the batteries, however its not working out for me :(

How much do you think that increased your top speed? What about acceleration? I would like a little higher speed for clearing jumps but if it kills acceleration I would not be able to use the increased speed when there is limited run up to the jump.

That seems it would defeat the purpose (or some) of taking them off in the first place. You would gain back some of the torque loss but loose some of the higher speed.

I am trying to decide if doing this mod would be worth it or if I should just go ahead and get a better motor. This is the GFs revo and it is her first RC. She is getting better at driving and is getting that "need for speed" itch. She just isnt ready for the power of the mamba monster system she wants. So I want to step her up a little before getting it. I just dont want to spend a lot of money on a motor that will end up getting replaced in a couple months.

Thanks
go ahead and get the mamba. it can be adjusted for power output so no need to waist money on a motor you dont need.

I'm in the process now of rebuilding the batteries, however its not working out for me :(

I solder for my job. I Know how some things like to fight with you. hope it starts to work out better for you. And thanks for your help

go ahead and get the mamba. it can be adjusted for power output so no need to waist money on a motor you dont need.

Even then I think it would be to much. She has not nailed down error correction yet. If she gets in trouble she gets a little flinchy or hesitant with the controls. She is getting better with it, but sometimes she still isnt sure what to do. She still doesn't have full confidence in her self and is afraid to break the truck. Which actually causes more problems :hehe: but at least she is trying :D So I dont want to overload her and take the fun out. Even if the mamba will give her that extra umph for her favorite part... jumping.

Back