Titan 550 12T smoking?!!?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroRC4Life

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Is it normal for my 12T titan motor to smoke because I was doing little circles going pretty slow in my downstairs basement and out of nowhere it starts to smell really bad and i notice some smoke coming from my motor so i stopped, unplugged my battery and felt the motor, i would say it was at a good 150F ut i forgot to use my temp gun, of course!! so i know there cheap if I need to replace it but I just got about a week and half ago and already it's gonna die?:mad:

It was probably a combination of over gearing, no airflow to cool the motor, and high rpm that killed your motor. In other words dont do donughts with your slash. The stock titans arnt the strongest out there. Two of my teammates have killed 4 each. So your not the only one.

well the gearing i would hope not because its stock gears... the airflow i have a big hole in the windshield cut out already... and the rpm i was like barely tapping the throttle but i maybe did like 2-3 mph because i only have like a small 5x10 space in my basement at most.. so i dont think it was rpms but idk.. i tried to start her up today and the servo works fine, except the motor is shot!!! might as well wait to christmas and see if i get the velineon system...

Any number of factors could have done it, but I know a couple of guys have killed titans by doing that. doesn't seem to bother brushless motors though. Also what size battery did you use?

Your batteries fine. Hum. . . I have no idea. Could have been numerous things, or just a bad motor.

titans are notorious for sucking. i burnt up one in my rustler. get the 15t motor from the hpi blitz and firestorm, its much faster.

Definately whatever you do don't spend your next dollar on another Titan, I have spent enough on them for us both so try an alternative:)

hey guys, thanks for the reply, just wanted to add I'm going brushless pretty soon when i sell my nitro stampede so i will have a build update on my truck soon because i wanna do a full overhaul on it b4 the summer because i will b racing it this year. without a doubt!

i just blew my tittant today at the track in my xtm lol. at least mine lasted me a few months :p trash that motor and get one you can rebuild :thumbup1: reedy got some nice ones .

tip;
Dont do burnouts lol. just had a huge puff of smoke come out after a 20 second burnout with the 4x4.

just go brushless problem solved.