tires

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abovelegit

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm looking for new tires, what type would you guys prefer for short grass/gravel etc... lookin to bash alot and want decent handeling/performance. I'm thinking of small spikes, like the X SS or http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-4928-MOUNTED-NUBZ-TIRES-DISH-WHEELS-SAVAGE-25-X-NIB_W0QQitemZ290316962905QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item43983d4c59&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50 any sugguestions are appreciated,
thanks!

Small spikes wear pretty quick on anything hard, hard pack dirt, concrete...

Maybe get some 40 series rims that fit your hubs and get some losi muggy tires. They have quite a bit of lug that will give you quite a bit of wear, but are relatively low profile to give you decent handling.

Here's a link to the tires:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB7210

The "pins" on them start out decent size and get larger as they wear down. A buddy of mine runs them on his savage with 20mm adapters and really likes them.

I would get either some HPI dirtbonz. Or some proline mulchers for some insane grip.

Last edited:
The Mulchers would wear too fast on hard surfaces. Mashers wouldn't be a bad choice.

Depends, the old savage ran 14mm, then new runs 17mm. not sure if only the XL runs 17 or if the X and XL both run 17. I bought the XL hex's/wheel nuts and run 17mm on mine now.

The mulchers are ridiculously aggressive. With a high power engine, I wouldn't run them on anything but loose dirt. In grass, they react like velcro, which is very hard on the drive train if your engine is torquey. I have a set sitting on a shelf with 14mm on them... ran them a couple times after I first got them on my aftershock and the traction was really annoying in the grass. If I had some dirt to run it, it would probably be better.

Last edited:
My bud had the same problem with his red dot maxx. It reacted almost like it had a locker in the rear. They're sittin' on his shelf as well.

oh i see, well back to searchin ebay again, thanks guys!

There are a lot of tires to choose from! It's a tough choice. That's why I just stick to my used stockers(ebay). Haven't been able to decide on some I like yet! I think I'm gonna go for some 3.2 Mashers. I'll let ya know what I think of them for future reference.