Tires and rims

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andydrew39219

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So, I have been trying to get creative with my Nitro Stampede. And I have been curious about tires and rims. What kind of rims can I use with my Stampede? Anything that fits? Is there anything different from the rims or tires that are used on the rear because it "drives" the vehicle? I also noticed a while ago the size of the nuts on the rear tires are smaller than the front ones. I can't actually tighten up the front tires because the nut is too big.

I have a couple different ideas. First off, I live in Maine and snow is around the corner (We saw snow for the first time last night actually). I have been thinking of buying a new set of tires and rims and before I mount the tires onto the rim I was thinking about systematically putting tacks (or possibly small screws/nails) through the tires. To make some makeshift studded snow tires. It just dawned on me that the tires would leak and such but I can get my hands on whatever kind of sealant I need (Like RTV, epoxy, jbweld, ect) What should I use? Has anyone done this before? Does some company already make studded snow rc tires? I saw in a magazine that you can get snowmobile tracks for your RC vehicle but it was like a $200 setup, not doing that just yet.

What do you guys think? Lets toss some ideas around.

Second thing I have been thinking about is getting a different set of rear tires/rims that have less grab. Kinda for drifting I guess, I would also like to do doughnuts easier :D. What would be a good set of rear tires that I could toss on there to make it drift easier?

Last edited:
Proline makes a couple different paddle tires. On ebay they sell tire chains for the stampede/rustler. just throwin out other ideas.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

I recommend the paddles if you going to be in the snow. I don't know if the chains will hold up to any speed, I can only imagine that they would damage your truck if they broke while you're WOT.

---------- Post added at 1:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:23 PM ----------

I'd put these in the rear.
1186-00.jpg

And I'm torn on the front, these MAY "cut" through the snow.
8175-02.jpg

These may also work though
8095-02.jpg

Ya I wasn't thinking WOT with the chains. I'm going with the sand paws paddles (like pictured) for snow when it gets here.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah the paddles look nice. I'm in a dilema though. I dont think my Pede likes to run in the cold. Long story short at 30F, idles awesome for 60s then gets funny, likes to stall if you give it to her or just drive for a while. I cut a couple holes in the body for better airflow and I think its getting too cold. I bought a new body today online. I'm not gonna cut holes.

I'll like the front tires but maybe a couple small nails (found some at a local store) here and there couldn't hurt. :D

I would also like the tires to be ridiculously big so it has plenty of clearance and looks kinda funny. But it's not a big deal. I'll see if I can find some monster paddle tires. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm still not clear on what tires will or will not work but will these work?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBYXB&P=7

Last edited:
Try putting a sock over the cooling head, you could even try aluminum foil, you will probably have to richen it up though. If you run MT tires, you'll have to get new hexes and probably change the gearing. The Slingshots from Proline are almost 1" taller than the Sand Paws, if you do a front hex conversion, you could get 17mm adapters and run the larger MT wheels/tires.
1179-00.jpg

I can honestly say I'm impressed. The rc vehicle appeared to handle very well with the chains. But, it also has some big wide tires on there and 4WD. The more and more I see 4WD rc vehicles, the more I want one. I get stuck here and there when I bash because its fall so leaves are everywhere. If I lose my momentum in the middle of a bunch of leaves the tires just start spinning and it gets stuck. I'm really interested in the paddle tires but the chains couldn't hurt on the front.

How do you do a front hex conversion? Do I just need to buy and install 17mm hex adapters?

Last edited:
Just go with a wide tire front and back that will give you good flotation on the snow

How do you do a front hex conversion? Do I just need to buy and install 17mm hex adapters?
You can either get the 17mm conversion for the nitro vehicles, Jato will be the one that it's most commonly listed for. If I was doing it though, I'd convert it to the 12mm hex and then get the 17mm conversion for it, look for Rustler or 2wd Slash. If you do it this way, you will still be able to get the 12mm hex wheels and then rotate them. If you do it the first way, you can't rotate the tires unless you keep 17mm wheels on it.

Back