Tire popping off from HP??? Glue???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buggyracer28

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am confused.... I just finished breaking in my Novarossi BS21SB engine and I just put on my new Jammin JP2 pipe right... so I'm drivin it around on my street with my brand new road rage tires and new rims and I do a power slide and I kick in the full throttle... I hear a POP!!! (kind of like the sound you hear when a huge tree is falling down) and i go over and check my buggy to see what happened. After inspencting the buggy, I find that 2 of my tires peeled right off the rims! Is this from a huge gain of power from my RG and stock pipe or is the glue that I used to glue the tires suck for doing so? I know my engine is powerfull but it shouldnt do that. I'm pretty sure I glued them correctly so i almost know that its the glue (the lady at my lhs said it would work good for gluing tires). Any thoughts?

reglue & let them sit for 12 hrs.............then see what happens

If they are chromed rims, you also need to scuff up the surface with sandpaper for the glue to bond. Also, clean the rubber and the rim bead with alcohol before gluing. Let them sit overnight before putting them on the truck.

I would go with what Rolex is suggesting. Scuff the lip where the tire will sit and clean the tire surface for the glue to bond to.

I think i need specific tire glue, cuz mine does not flex at all.

You didn't say what kind of glue you used. Basic hobby shop model cement does not work. You need CA. That's CyanoAcrilate, or Super glue. Thin or medium.

ok the glue that i have reads:

SUPER JET
Medium Viscosity
Proffesional Grade
Cyanoacrylate Glue

It was $6.50 too which really sucks....

Is it thick or thin? If it is thick it needs to cure for a certain period of time. Thin set is quick drying. Careful with that one. May end up with your finger glued together or even to the tire.

your not sposed to sand the in side of the rim or tyre, actually makes less of a contact area for the glue to bond on, you are sposed to use a cleaner to remove any residual release waxs and silicones that may be and will be on the contact areas, then glue, this sounds like what has happened the area has not been cleaned properly and the glue has not been able to weld to the plastics/ rudder

Cleaning normal plastic wheels is to remove the release agent. With Chromed wheels, the surface MUST be sanded and scuffed to give the glue something to grab onto. You can glue something to glass, but impact will break the bond. The surface is too smooth, just like the chrome plate.

jon2 said:
Is it thick or thin? If it is thick it needs to cure for a certain period of time. Thin set is quick drying. Careful with that one. May end up with your finger glued together or even to the tire.
Believe me... this HAS happened almost EVERY time I use this glue LOL. It is medium tho....

Rolex said:
Cleaning normal plastic wheels is to remove the release agent. With Chromed wheels, the surface MUST be sanded and scuffed to give the glue something to grab onto. You can glue something to glass, but impact will break the bond. The surface is too smooth, just like the chrome plate.
were did you read chrome wheels, there blue plastic unless I'm color blind

Tire gluing info was asked for. Should there be a separate thread because they're chrome? People without blue wheels might want the info.

[/Quote]Quote: (Originally Posted by Rolex)Tire gluing info was asked for. Should there be a separate thread because they're chrome? People without blue wheels might want the info.[/Quote]

spacific info to why his tyres poped off the rims was asked for, not general knoledge, i do believe there is already a general tire thread
but you would no
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Rolex you may wish to remove your useless posts as well, mine may not have been usefull to this particular thread, as it was telling you that yours werent, as this guy doesn't have chrome wheels, the info i provide is generally usefull and is backed with the knoledge of having done and know about, if you wish to ban people that do help and know what there talking about so that you can wave your power wand, then so be it, but a complaint will be made, sir and mister are names that are earnt not exspected, negative commentary, more like it was a general user telling you that your post was outta place, and u didnt like it, now this is a negative post :)

I have absolutely NO IDEA WHATSOEVER where your comments about banning are coming from.
Please review the Forum rules page in reference to negative or useless posting. If you are having a problem with this, please do it via PMs.
You seem to be seriously irritated that gluing tires to chrome wheels was mentioned. Since this was a thread about gluing tires, and in the beginning of it, since there was no mention of what they were made of, chrome was included in the reply.
If it had NOT been included, someone probably would have asked anyway, or another member would have offered that information.

JEESE! mikeburgin calm down! Jeese, why would a little extra info hurt anyone? What if I did have chrome rims? Then I would need that info, but I never said what type of wheels i have so it would be possible.... I don't want my thread to be a :argue: thread. thank you and take a :chillpill

nicely put but i do believe you wrote this :

Well, I'm pretty sure the glue is really bad for gluing tires is all....
heres what wheels they are....
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...p?&I=LXVD03&P=7

as far as chill pill goes there was some Pming going on behind the scenes that you have not read, hence the nasty coments
I opologise for griping on your thread
Sorry
Mike

Thanks for the alpologie...

"that you have not read" did you send them to me? or was it between u and rolex??? whatever... it's cool.

Back