Tips on starting nitro rc

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnpayne

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I'm a newbie. I'm currently breaking in my nitro RC. I wondered if storing it in the garage is making it difficult to start. It's been about 30 to 50 degrees overnight. Should I store inside?

Also, any other tips on getting my RC to start quicker?

Pre-heat the engine to 200F and it should start much more easy. These engine need to be warm to operate properly, starting cold is not only hard on the engine, it can be very difficult as well.

as extreme said heat the motor up b4 starting it a heat gun is the only way to get it to 200 but a good hair dryer will get it up to 150 or so depending on the heat it puts out. makes it much easier to crank especially in colder temps i always heat my nitros up whether cold or not

They also make sleeves you can put over the head that plug into the wall that will heat up your engine nice and toasty. They are a little pricey though but unlike a heat gun you dont have to worry about melting your plastic parts either heh

Interesting tip. I'll have to try this. How are you reading the temp on the engine if using a heat gun or blow dryer?

when i heat with a hair dryer i direct the heat directly downward over the head just barely off of it to wear the heat blows thru the fins and i take temp at glow plug it takes a little longer with hair dryer but as said b4 you dont have to worry about melting anything

I would just heat the entire engine from bottom to top. One place you don't have to heat is the starting unit.

at the end of the day put 5-6 drops of marvel mystery oil in the carb and spin the engine. this helps stop rust in the engine, and seals the piston so the next start is faster. do NOT put MMO in the fuel. allso a little gasoline in the intake will help start it. i do mean LITTLE 6-7 drops. SAFETY have a jar with water in it, if nitro fuel gets on fire water will put it out, be sure and mark the water jar, you dont want to put it in a nitro fuel tank. when methanol burns in day light it is VERY hard to see.

I wouldn't recommend using any amount of gasoline in a nitro engine, it will start just the same if you properly prime the engine by blowing into the exhaust pressure line. Just blow on it until you see the fuel hit the carb, then about a half second past that and your good to go.

Always store your vehicles inside. As the weather fluctuates the metal parts will draw moisture. Even the electronics. And always do your after run care faithfully. His will prolong the life of the motor and make life much easier
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356027259.276718.jpg
Here is a sample for storage. Just built another one yesterday for the rest of my R/C toys

Beatings will continue until compliance is gained