Tips on cleaning your RIG

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschleer

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
My truck is FILTHY! I've always used compressed air and some gentle cleaning detergents, but, what do I do when that just won't cut it? Does anyone out there have some good tips on cleaning your rig after heavy bashing or a race?

Thanks!

Nitro clean works pretty good but leaves spots on your plastic parts and is super expensive, Honestly I just rip down and clean my rigs peice by peice after a good day of bashing or racing its alot of work but you find everything that is broke or ready to break and they stay looking new.. its kind of a preventitive maintenance technique but to each his own

i think nitro cleaner is just wd 40 in a expensive can

i think nitro cleaner is just wd 40 in a expensive can

Uh, no, much different. WD40 displaces water, it's not a cleaner, nor as many would like to think, a lubricant either.

I use Simple Green, an assortment of stiff bristle brushes, and an air compressor. When I'm finished I hit my bearings with a good lubricant like white lithium spray. Every now and then, I'll tear 'em all the way down for a really good cleaning.

If your patient enough, you can take a seal out of a bearing and clean it real well. If you get to a grinding bearing fast enough, you can usually save it. Keep compressed air from directly blasting a dirty bearing. You can force debris into them.

i have heard of peolpe taking out the eletronics and engine and washing the car down with water then spray WD-40 and reoil all bearings to clean it. BUT i use simple green and air to clean mine.

ask around the drag racers where you live see if anyone, or a speed shop has methanol for sale. i get methanol for $2.70 a gal at a speed shop.

Kal-Gard Degreaser + Air Compressor + Kal-Gard Prep N Shine = One sexy looking rig.

I used brake parts cleaner and compressed air , it will leave spots on plastic . Some brake clean is stronger than others . BRAKE KLEEN brand is pretty mild but works realy good . I use to work on cars and you can't live without it . it cleans , degreases and evaporates quikly .

Uh, no, much different. WD40 displaces water, it's not a cleaner, nor as many would like to think, a lubricant either.

Well it work excellent for me as a cleaner :)

and on some things a lubricant too...

What does WD-40 do?

WD-40 fulfills five basic functions:
1. CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess bonding material.
2. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
3. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
5. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

i just use some old nitro fuel and a compressor

If you use WD40 it will leave a film and attract dirt....
Take out the electronics and seal the mill and pipe simple green and a stiff brush and rinse it off with water..

Last edited:
I use Simple Green as well...let it soak for a minute...hit it with a brush and compressed air. Rinse with water..more air..then a final with 50/50 armor-all water mix then dry with compresed air again. Toss it in my closet with a dehumidifier for the final dry out.

Nice i never thought of a dehumidifier...That needs to be a sticky........

I like it..Big time props to you joey

Zandor....I live on a semi-tropical island a half mile from the ocean so the humidity is around 90% all the time. I noticed my RCs would mold if I left any dirt or grass on them after I ran. I did not always have time to clean them that second so I had to find a solution. A dehumidifier was the best solution I came up with. I now have the closet sealed to where it is damn near air tight and the dehinifier keeps the moisture level at around 7%. I have the water line to where it drips to the outside of the house too so the water tank does not even get to hang out in the room. It does work pretty good. No more rust or mold! Ok, maybe I am into my RCs a bit too much...lol

Zandor....I live on a semi-tropical island a half mile from the ocean so the humidity is around 90% all the time. I noticed my RCs would mold if I left any dirt or grass on them after I ran. I did not always have time to clean them that second so I had to find a solution. A dehumidifier was the best solution I came up with. I now have the closet sealed to where it is damn near air tight and the dehinifier keeps the moisture level at around 7%. I have the water line to where it drips to the outside of the house too so the water tank does not even get to hang out in the room. It does work pretty good. No more rust or mold! Ok, maybe I am into my RCs a bit too much...lol

I don't give out props very often.
your idea is one of the best i have heard of in a long time.Its nice to see someone thinking outside the box..You my friend make it into my 11% of my nonclueless book..and that for sure doesn't happen very often..maybe like once or twice a year if that!!!!Congrats and welcome to the club:D

Last edited:
What is WRONG with you people?
If you keep it on a glass shelf and dust and wax it regularly, you won't have this problem. A good wax keeps any house dust from sticking, and as long as you hit it with a swiffer regularly it will stay as bright and shiny as the day you built it.

What is WRONG with you people?
If you keep it on a glass shelf and dust and wax it regularly, you won't have this problem. A good wax keeps any house dust from sticking, and as long as you hit it with a swiffer regularly it will stay as bright and shiny as the day you built it.

carnauba?

Back