Time for New Servos!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP-12

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
I need to pick up a new servo to replace the stock throttle servo on my HPI Bullet that went out. I May as well replace both at the same time to save later hassle.

I’m thinking of going the Hitec route, but I’m unsure if I should go one digital and one analog, or both analog.
what are your guys’ thoughts on this? I am currently running the quad AA battery pack to run the servos, but could switch if need be.

I am running the Airtronics MT-S w/RX-482
Any suggestions would be awesome!

@WoodiE
That’s right around my budget of where I’d like to be.
Those are also what I was looking at along with D955TW and HS-5585MH, but leaning toward your recommendation because I’ll save a bit of coin for an engine I want.

Should I switch to Lipo or a nihm pack to power my servos rather than the 4 AA it uses now?

@WoodiE
Since those servos are high voltage, would I be safe running a 2s Lipo without a voltage regulator?

@WoodiE
Lol we replied at the exact same time.
What do you think about a 2s?
Would it be safe w/o a regulator since the servos are high voltage?

Seems to me both those servos are only rated for 6v max, a 2s lipo will more then likely cause some problems. If this is just a basher I would personally just use a NIMH pack, it will last longer then AA's and be cheaper so you can save for that new motor.

Thanks for the reply!
I asked too soon though lol I just found servo city website that lists the info about each servo. Dunno why I was thinking those were high voltage servos.

I've really good experience with the HiTec servos especially the 5645 on my rigs.

Excellent choice on those two servos. Can't go wrong. I also agree with the hump pack for powering them. It pays for itself while you keep throwing away Duracells.

They came in today!

Attachments

• 3B643690-7949-4A58-8DE9-341B340CA0D8.jpeg
    3B643690-7949-4A58-8DE9-341B340CA0D8.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 126
On the servo I’m using for steering, the arm that accepts the ball joint from the stock servo doesn’t fit the new one. I’m thinking about drilling out and tapping a hole on the new servo arm, but I’m unsure if that’s the right way to fix this problem.
Hopefully this makes sense, it’s the best I could describe it

I just drilled out the top hole on the arm that came with and it worked in my favor!
Now to save for a new engine. Not a fan of HPI’s G 3.0. It does NOT want to tune right. Frustrating!

Attachments

• A3A21CC1-EB57-43E4-9E79-DB37BA2B526F.jpeg
    A3A21CC1-EB57-43E4-9E79-DB37BA2B526F.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 115
Got the new servos installed and the end points all set.
But they do make quite a bit of noise most of the time. Is this a normal thing? Or does it sound like something may be wrong

Fast gears will make some noise when they move but I wouldn't be concerned unless they are drowning out the sound of the nitro engine. :smuggrin:

@Rolex Oh, definitely not that loud
Also, I can’t get the servos dead center w/o trimming it quite a bit.
Is this normal?
Tons of questions, sorry :joyful:

You should disconnect the servo arms, trim them to center, make all your mechanical adjustments to your steering and throttle and then reconnect the arms with the wheels straight and the carb in the idle position. At that point it will only take a little trim to set them where they need to be.

Tons of questions, sorry :joyful:
That's what we're here for.

@Rolex I fixed the throttle servo and now I’m only having problems with the steering servo now, the throttle is dead center with the 23T arm. If I trim the steering servo to dead center then turn the power on the RC off, then put the trim back to 0 on the reciever, will the arm stay where it’s at, or return to the original position once I power it back up?
Again, thank you for the help!

Last edited: