Threading Rubber Coolant Tube Through Two Holes In Hull of Old Traxxas Blast, Circa Maybe 2010

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Out4lox

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
My problem is just as it says above. I had a Traxxas Blast RC Boat sitting in my garage for at least 6-8 years, becoming absolutely filthy. I remember feeling very bored with it when first I ran it. Replaced it with an Aquacraft Supervee 27 Brushless. Anybody remember those, lol? Actually, anybody remember Aquacraft, lol?? Well, while I’m at it, anybody remember HOBBICO, lol??? In any event, the Blast was slow, the dog bone fitted to the driveshaft came loose, and I abandoned the brushed Blast.

Now, all these years later, I decided to render the Blast sea-and-lake-worthy again, I don’t even know why. So I cleaned it up and removed the assembly that holds the steering servo, motor, ESC and receiver. Stupidly, while doing so, I pulled INTO the hull the rubberized coolant outflow tube that goes from the motor and through the two holes in the hull. (See the pictures attached, well, not really the one of my Revo, which is not pertinent, but it’s been on my mind A LOT, and it’s almost done, I’m pretty sure.) I should have left that tube in the hull and just pulled the tube off the MOTOR. I’m smart enough to realize this NOW, lol. But it’s done. So live and learn. Sin in haste, repent at leisure.

In any event, now I am left with NO idea how to reinsert the coolant tube through the hull. And I’m wondering if there’s some trick to it, of which I’m just unaware, but that one or more of you might know.

Anyone???

Thanks!

Steven,
Weston, Florida

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Maybe try putting the hose in the freezer to shrink and stiffen it.
I have been thinking of making my Blast go on Lipo batteries, not for more power, just so I don't have to use Nihm. Only have 2 Nihms, but 5 lipos.

I’m thinking of trying the freeze method first. Who knows? Thanks Heisenberg, and thanks Monkey Wrench. I appreciate it.

Monkey Wrench: You would need to confirm this with Traxxas (easy enough to do), but I THINK the only reason Traxxas says the Blast’s ESC is “incompatible” with lipo batteries is that it has NO low voltage cutoff. So naturally if you run your lipo down below 3.0 or 2.8 v per cell — or whatever the number is — you risk damaging the lipo battery by overly-discharging it. But, if you watch your run times and throttle usage, so that you don’t run your lipos too low, I’d think you’d be ok! If you’re thinking of trying this, PLEASE confirm with Traxxas FIRST. DON’T go putting the lives of your RCs and your lipos into the hands of some random guy on the internet, telling you stuff! (That’d be me ….)

Inspiration hit me, maybe: I’ll run a short length of metal tube through the inner and outer holes in the hull. And inside the hull, hook up the rubberized tubing from the motor cooling coil to the inside end of the metal tube. If I can a tube that fits just right….

Last edited:
id try craft wire or bendable wire to go thru side of boat. tape it to hose run it thru side

My problem is just as it says above. I had a Traxxas Blast RC Boat sitting in my garage for at least 6-8 years, becoming absolutely filthy. I remember feeling very bored with it when first I ran it. Replaced it with an Aquacraft Supervee 27 Brushless. Anybody remember those, lol? Actually, anybody remember Aquacraft, lol?? Well, while I’m at it, anybody remember HOBBICO, lol??? In any event, the Blast was slow, the dog bone fitted to the driveshaft came loose, and I abandoned the brushed Blast.

Now, all these years later, I decided to render the Blast sea-and-lake-worthy again, I don’t even know why. So I cleaned it up and removed the assembly that holds the steering servo, motor, ESC and receiver. Stupidly, while doing so, I pulled INTO the hull the rubberized coolant outflow tube that goes from the motor and through the two holes in the hull. (See the pictures attached, well, not really the one of my Revo, which is not pertinent, but it’s been on my mind A LOT, and it’s almost done, I’m pretty sure.) I should have left that tube in the hull and just pulled the tube off the MOTOR. I’m smart enough to realize this NOW, lol. But it’s done. So live and learn. Sin in haste, repent at leisure.

In any event, now I am left with NO idea how to reinsert the coolant tube through the hull. And I’m wondering if there’s some trick to it, of which I’m just unaware, but that one or more of you might know.

Anyone???

Thanks!

Steven,
Weston, Florida

View attachment 160203

View attachment 160204

View attachment 160205

View attachment 160206
Whats up bud. I would suggest getting new hoses. Since you said its been sitting for yrs. But I just upgraded/changed all my hoses on my Sonicwave to a bigger size. I actually just drilled the hull of the boat the same size as hoses. Amd purchased hull sleeves from RCboats. In Australia they are awesome and had parts in a week...👍👍

Thanks guys! Yes, I wasn’t clear. I have new tubing. My new idea though is the metal tube/rubber grommet deal. Anyway, thanks! If all else fails, I’ll drill a bigger hole!

I’m thinking of trying the freeze method first. Who knows? Thanks Heisenberg, and thanks Monkey Wrench. I appreciate it.

Monkey Wrench: You would need to confirm this with Traxxas (easy enough to do), but I THINK the only reason Traxxas says the Blast’s ESC is “incompatible” with lipo batteries is that it has NO low voltage cutoff. So naturally if you run your lipo down below 3.0 or 2.8 v per cell — or whatever the number is — you risk damaging the lipo battery by overly-discharging it. But, if you watch your run times and throttle usage, so that you don’t run your lipos too low, I’d think you’d be ok! If you’re thinking of trying this, PLEASE confirm with Traxxas FIRST. DON’T go putting the lives of your RCs and your lipos into the hands of some random guy on the internet, telling you stuff! (That’d be me ….)

Inspiration hit me, maybe: I’ll run a short length of metal tube through the inner and outer holes in the hull. And inside the hull, hook up the rubberized tubing from the motor cooling coil to the inside end of the metal tube. If I can a tube that fits just right….
Not sure I follow. Perhaps someone else asked this question as I don't own any Traxxas rigs, at least not yet!

Of course you don’t follow, Monkeywrench. It was my mistake. My post was intended for Heisenberg — about using lipos in HIS Traxxas Blast. Sorry for confusion/wasting your time.

Of course you don’t follow, Monkeywrench. It was my mistake. My post was intended for Heisenberg — about using lipos in HIS Traxxas Blast. Sorry for confusion/wasting your time.
No worries, I get confused with smarter people all the time! 🤪

Back