Thoughts on the Traxxas Nitro Stampede RTR kit?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westie06516

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So I've been strung out on getting a HPI Savage X 4.6 RTR kit, but for some odd reason I'm kinda drawn to the Traxxas Stampede (the nitro version). I know its only a 2WD, but is it just as a fun nitro MT to drive/bash as a Savage? I think that one thing that has me looking at the Traxxas is price, but the EZ start system. I buddy of mine had one a few years back and it ran pretty nice but I always stuck to street nitro r/c cars, but now I want to switch it up. Just want something reliable, fun, and can with hold some bashing, jumping, wheelies, and isn't hard on the pockets since I'm gonna be a newbie to the whole MT scene. Do you guys think I'm nuts from looking at the savage to the stampede? lol.

As always, I appreciate the advice and opinions.

The Nitro 'Pede isn't really a monster truck, but a stadium truck. It is, however, a great little basher. Hop-ups are plentiful and I used the Easy Start on my Revo 3.3 until I converted to brushless. IMO it's not a bad little truck.

The Nitro 'Pede isn't really a monster truck, but a stadium truck. It is, however, a great little basher. Hop-ups are plentiful and I used the Easy Start on my Revo 3.3 until I converted to brushless. IMO it's not a bad little truck.

I mean I love the savage x, but I've been thinking since I'm starting out in nitro MT, maybe start out with something cheaper and perhaps easier to work on. I know Traxxas and both HPI have a lot of mods out there, bodies, etc, so I think it would be more logical to work on a smaller engine thats just 2WD as opposed to a AWD system with a 2spd...I just want something that I can run most of the time and when it comes to fixing, it will be quick and not so stressful. I'm just looking for something to take out on the street, grass, woods/dirt, and hit some small jumps and maybe try hill climbing...once I feel comfortable, maybe I'll upgrade to something with more power.

I just wanna know if the Traxxas Stampede is a decent investment for what it is as a nitro RTR kit or if its worth the money at all. I'm not a big fan of brushless...for some odd reason I'm stuck on nitro motors...love the sound of em :)

The Stampede would be a good truck to start with. a lot of members here started with them and still have them.

The Stampede would be a good truck to start with. a lot of members here started with them and still have them.

Are they easy to work on and replace parts if something breaks or if you want to modify them (are there a lot of mods too btw?) Also, how is the engine break in? Is it pretty complex and intensive as the procedure for the savage x?

Figured I'd start out with something that is fun to drive, has decent speed, and can take a moderate bashing...and once I get the hang of things, especially with the working on a nitro motor, I'd like to step it up to more expensive toy like the savage...that's just been my mind set as of late...if it makes sense. It's like your first car isn't a brand new BMW, more like a used Honda Civic if you can get that analogy...

Yes to all of the above. They are a basic truck that can easily be repaired. Replacement parts are available at just about every hobby shop. Upgrades are also readily available and are relatively inexpensive.

i'd look at the tmaxx or the revo, they too are easy to work on and have a larger motor. just throwing them out there too :)

I personally like the revo the most
I have one with the 3.3 and another w/ LRP.30(truck being rebuilt w/ full tear down and clean ECT.)

Dont forget that Traxxas now makes the stamped 4x4!:D

I don't see that on their website...

i'd look at the tmaxx or the revo, they too are easy to work on and have a larger motor. just throwing them out there too :)

I personally like the revo the most
I have one with the 3.3 and another w/ LRP.30(truck being rebuilt w/ full tear down and clean ECT.)

the t mas and revo, along with the HPI savage are nice and come with big motors, but they are much more expensive (especially the traxxas). I figure since I'm new to the off road MT scene, I should start out with something cheaper/basic, can bash, learn how to jump, etc, and learn how to fix up before working on a bigger an badder motor. then after a while when I feel good with my skills I'd up grade to a savage x 4.6

what do you guys think of the traxxas nitro sport? I know its not a MT, but it looks like you can jump it, run it faster, and get it sideways and do some tight donuts...an MT looks like it would flip if you tried to do that since they are raised higher up...but I do love how MT's can do wheelies...think the nitro sport can? I think these are my two options i've narrowed down to if I'm gonna get started in nitro off roading. The traxxas nitro sport or stampede (both nitro) as RTR kits can be bought for under $300. Best price I saw for a stampede RTR is $268.99 with some extras thrown in as well and brand new in the box.

Personally, I couldn't go back to a 2wd vehicle. The 4x4 Stampede that was mentioned is electric. A Main has the Savage X for $400. So for another $130, you get twice the vehicle(4x4). I'm also pretty sure that if you bought a pede now, once you did get a Savage, you would forget all about the Stampede. So in my opinion, you'd be money ahead by just buying what you really want. The Savage is no more difficult to run.

Personally, I couldn't go back to a 2wd vehicle. The 4x4 Stampede that was mentioned is electric. A Main has the Savage X for $400. So for another $130, you get twice the vehicle(4x4). I'm also pretty sure that if you bought a pede now, once you did get a Savage, you would forget all about the Stampede. So in my opinion, you'd be money ahead by just buying what you really want. The Savage is no more difficult to run.

I totally understand, but I'm looking at it from this perspective...over the next year I'm planning a wedding with my fiancee which costs alot of cash lol. So for a while I want to get something that will get me into off road nitro r/c thats easy to use, maintain, and replace parts on. Maybe after the entire wedding deal, I'll pick up something with more power and a bit more costly since I'll have no more wedding fund issues to worry about at that point and more free time as well lol.

I figured the Traxxas nitro Stampede or nitro sport both look like fun little off roaders to pick up and get into, and I looked at upgrading to a 3.3 engine and it doesn't look that difficult or expensive, plus I like that the RTR kit comes with literally everything you need except fuel, cleaner, etc for well under $300. I saw some sweet videos of both and they both seem to be fun cars. The only difference I saw was that the stampede does wheelies like crazy and can take on more than the nitro sport, but the sport looks like it can run faster and get sideways without tipping over and can still take some jumps and bashing as the stampede...the only difference between them is a $10 in price for a RTR kit.

Back