this may sound silly

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weezracen

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
just 4 fun I want to put bigger tires on my rusty like 14mm revo tires I no they make adapters for 12mm hexs to 14 that will work for the back but I can't figuer out the front cause of the barings any have an idea how this could be done

good luck, take pictures.

I'm not to sure on what the Rustler looks like but would it be possible to some how mount some spacers in there???
The wheels would stick out a bit more but if it would work then so be it.

If the tires do stick out as long as there is engough thread to lock them down then do it that way, wider stance= more stability

Its going to be a week or so till I could screw around with this. I did slide the bigger tires over my small ones. They fit tight over them and it looks like its going to be fun to drive!!!!! Right now its hard to keep it going straigt in the dirt and I think this would help. Think it would help the suspension a bit 2. Question time, once u have pics saved in ur profile page how do u get them out to yous 2 see????

You'd probably have better luck just upping to the stampede wheels/tires. They are larger than the rustler I believe but smaller than the revo, might be a good match:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPXX2&P=Z
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRVC4&P=Z

I know I've seen a few vids with those on the jato... ridiculous amount of rotational mass when in flight. Makes for easy flips.

Oh, the stamped is only 2 wheel drive, so you will have to pay attention and get front wheels and rear wheels. It also uses 12mm hex's for the rears.

looks something like this

didn't work sorry pics on my profile page tho. and yeah I thought about stamped tires its just I got extra revos from a friend and two more pluse I'm getting new ones for my rig. that's like 10 tires and rims 4 are 14mm tho. ill give it ago see what I can't brake hhaha. easy to flip during jumps. maybe ill get the old rusty to do back flips lol???? if it happens will tell how it works and how I did it. anymore input would be grate!!!!!

Still might be easier getting some stampede tires/wheels for the front. Then use the 14mm ones with some 14mm hex's on the rear.

I put the Stampede tires on my sons rusty VXL and the thing was great but the tires were so heavy that if it landed from too high it would snap an axle or hub. It was fun though...

I thought that the whole snapping thing could be a prob. I asked my lhs for rpm hub carriers like a month ago he told me he thinks they stopped making them witch made no cents 2 me. But ya it was fun huh? Was it easier to drive had to be my rust love doing donuts how it sits now lol. If I can't get the revo tires to work guess ill just have to cough up the cash for stamped tires but I'm laid off for a couple weeks so I got time to play around.

I thought that the whole snapping thing could be a prob. I asked my lhs for rpm hub carriers like a month ago he told me he thinks they stopped making them witch made no cents 2 me. But ya it was fun huh? Was it easier to drive had to be my rust love doing donuts how it sits now lol. If I can't get the revo tires to work guess ill just have to cough up the cash for stamped tires but I'm laid off for a couple weeks so I got time to play around.

Heck with it! Put 1/8 buggy tires/wheels on it like my jato!

Here's a tire/wheel comparison, the buggy wheel/tires are a bit larger than standard 2.2" wheels/tires and don't have the sidewall to get all squirrelly at higher speeds:
2008-0329-Jato-BuggyWheelCompareAll.jpg

Top Wheel/Tire L->R: buggy/moabs, buggy/road rage, 2.2 rim w/2.2 road rage
Bottom Wheel/Tire L->R: 2.2 rim w/2.2 step pins, 2.2 rim w/2.2 blades, buggy/moabs

Sure made the jato handle a lot better and picked up some extra ground clearance for grass running. Spins a lot more now than it wheelies, but is still really fun and handles the rough stuff a lot better.

On the truck:
2008-0330-JatoWithBuggyRims-NEhubsBodyExhaust.jpg

2008-0330-JatoWithBuggyRims-NEhubsBodyFront.jpg

Might be more than you want to spend though...

Post pics when you do what you do. I'll want to check it out.

WOW! The Jato looks badass with them on! I like it alot,

nice I love it. so u got 1/8 buggy tires on there? Think u could post a link so I could maybe pick up a pair that will work? My bills are paid I just got to keep it on the DL from my old lady so sh hahah. Just hope I find the package before she does lol! Wait I'm laid off I'm sure to get it first! But yeah if ya could please find a set that will hook right up,work and look good 2 please post a link. Thank U!

And o forgot to say if ya go and check out my profile u could see the mock up of what I'm trying to do I would just post some pics here but I can't figure it out woodie told me how but I still can't I'm a pc dumb a$$ I guess??? lol but ur set looks good! Ill get those tires to fit and let ya now. if ya pm me ur email I no I could send ya pics of my riggs!

Last edited:
Its easy to post pics.

first copy the image location of the pick you want to post. (right click- copy image location)

the use this button and paste your image location.
insertimage.png

it should look some thing like this (with out spaces):
[ I M G ]https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/images/editor/insertimage.png[ / I M G ]

I picked up a conversion kit on eBay a few months back that adapts T Maxx wheels to the Rusty. It was $25 shipped. Comes with way longer front spindles, a piece of tubing to slide over them to keep the hex's where they belong. It also came with pins and aluminum clamping hex's. I run 2.5 T Maxx tires on my Stampede with 12-87 gearing. Xl5/12t. It's slow and handles like crap. It drives like there's more unsprung weight then sprung. Probably is! Looks cool, though and my little cousins like it because it's almost as big as a Maxx. I modded some Duratrax Nitro Mt hubs for the back and some old megatech touring car hubs for the front. Aluminum. The kids hit more stuff with one pack then I have in the 10+ years I've had it. Nothing's broke yet. I also put T Maxx turnbuckles on 'er. I leave the slipper locked and tell them to hold it wide open off of jumps. It front flips if ya don't. I can't believe they haven't blown a driveshaft off or killed the diff or a spur. It's a vxl tranny, but I'm still amazed. It goes through mud pretty good. That was the main reason I built it. Just to get it wet.

Think u could post a link so I could maybe pick up a pair that will work?

These are the adapters I bought:
http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?session_id=&part_id=3244

Pricey, but not real bad for what they are. A bunch of milled aluminum.

With those, you can run any set of 17mm buggy wheels/tires on your rig.

Here's a hit at tower, most will work:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=1/8+BUGGY+WHEELS++&search=Go

I've found some on ebay that are pretty cheap for sets of 4. Haven't bought any yet, they seem like knock off's of others. But for the price, you really can't go too wrong. ($24 for a set of 4 shipped)
Ebay Seller: suprasales

yeah I just ebay and I can't stop shopping hahahahah thr girls going to hate me hahahahah!!! but yeah I seen those hex adapters on there I haven't bought any either I do have a bid on some stamped tires like olds recommended tho. But I still am going to look into that link ya gave for the( pricey) ones. what size tire did u use on ur jato? 1/8 buggy? what series 40 , 30 what's the difference? wich ones come on the revo and wich come on the rusty? The ones on ur jato look like what I'm looking for I think mt tires r a little to wide! Ok THANK YOU for all ur help!!!!!!!!

Ok just checked out thoses links and yep I'm going to buy them adapters too but I'm going to shop on ebay for the tires tho but that link made it very clear to me for what I'm looking 4. After I get this worked out da rustys getting a 3.3! Any tips on different size gears I should get? And just a thought is a two speed trany possible?? Or does that sound even more silly?? Thankx those link made my day night morning?

Last edited:
Shoot, it just dawned on me that your talking about a rustler! Might want to check and make sure those adapters work for a rustler. They may be jato specific as mine is a jato and they bolted up just fine.

EDIT:
Just looked at new era's site for both the rustler and jato, they list the same hubs for both.

cool thankx 4 checking. Did u have to buy those barring 2? And on that 2 speed trany how much different is the jatos chassis lay out do u think I could fines a jatos trany onto a rustys chassis. Ur probably think Y don't he just buy a jato and I dono just cause it a project and it will be my own thing and the wow factor from my friends too!

Back