Thinking of saving up for a new kit... thinking of Tekno. Any suggestions? I want to be able to bash it and also race it.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukedavis

Hardcore RCTalk User
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Boating
As the title says, I want to save up for a new kit. I have all of the electronics sorted out. Just want something cool to bash and race. NO Monster trucks.

The SCT410.3 is based off a 1/8 chassis and people say it's pretty nice. Even the ET410, EB410, and the new sct410 SL. Tekno stuff it cool. Is your local track all 1/10 or 1/8 or both? 1/8 will hold up more better for bashing. I seen people build and bash around the ET48 series of kits. I think Bars and Tone RC YouTube channel, I think he bashes a ET48. If your local track races 4wd SCTs get a 410 SL or find a used 410.3. If they race 4wd buggy I would get the EB410.2. The 1/10 buggy and truggy from tekno is kinda old and somewhat outdated right now. I think the .2 kits came out around 2 ish years ago. A short course truck will be best for racing and bashing. The 1/10 buggy is more for racing. The 1/10 truggy could be used for racing and bashing.

Don't forget to add a chassis protector. So it doesn't ruin the carpet at your track and doesn't scrape up the metal chassis.

I bashed my mini b outside alot. Chassis is so scraped up and I stripped the hex screws going through the chassis and up due to the concrete and asphalt.

You mentioned tekno in the title. But there are always other brands like AE, TLR, Yokomo, Xray. Schumacher. Yokomo from Japan, Xray from Germany, Schumacher from the UK and kinda hard to get parts over here in the US. They are also expensive too.

And there is always 1 brand I forget about which is Hot Bodies. Do they still make 1/10 kits? HB isn't really popular anymore.
@Smilinbri has a SCT410.3. He bashes it on his track for fun and bashes it around.

Last edited:
Well, we are going to make a track in my neighborhood at the park because there is a huge area in the woods that is clear. We already have a permit so it’s good to go.
which electronics do you already have?

what class do you have in mind?

i.e. 1/10 buggy or 1/8 buggy etc?
I have the HobbyWing max10 G2 2400kv combo

have the HobbyWing max10 G2 2400kv combo
The max10 is more suitable for 1/10. The esc and motor will not fit on a buggy or truggy chassis so I would suggest a short course truck. Either try to find a sct410.3 or if you want a new kit, the sct410 SL or the SCTE 3.0 are good 4 wheel drive short course trucks that will fit with that combo.
If you got the 140 amp max10 g2 ESC, it might do well in a 1/8? Maybe? Most 1/8 escs are around the 200 amp ESC ranges.

Based on the specs here that combo is a 3665 can and can run up to 4S:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/ezrun-max10-g2-series

The motor is designed for 1/10 SCT or 1/10 Truggy

TEKNO has discontinued the SCT410.3 which used to be an extremely durable and race proven platform for the electronics you selected, I have a build thread here in the rare case you can still find a kit:
https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/build-review-sct410-3.1389/

TEKNO has since released the SCT410-SL which is based on the ET410 platform. I used to race the ET410 and I experienced a myriad of durability issues with it before I switched to the PR Racing 401R-T which was significantly more durable for me:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3316477-PR-Racing-SB401-T-(1-10-Mini-Truggy)

Only problem that the 1/10 Truggy class is they are better suited for racing on a track and not really good bashers.

SCT's tend to do better for dual purpose between bashing and racing but the new SCT410-SL is not going to be a great basher and will tend to break too frequently.

I would encourage you to consider a 1/8 buggy which will be phenomenally more durable than any 1/10 SCT.

TEKNO makes a great buggy that is very durable but can be pricey, I have a build thread here on the older 2.0 buggy:
https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/build-review-eb48-2-0.1864/

I would find that platform to be too responsive and needed a more stable platform where I switched to HB which was a really good decision and I became significantly more competitive with it:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?4192321-BUILD-REVIEW-HB-Racing-E819RS

I recently switched to Caster purely for financial reasons where there is no other 1/8 buggy on the market that comes close to this value for the level of performance and durability for the price:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?4322447-BUILD-REVIEW-Caster-ETO821

The electronics you selected can be ran in a 1/8 buggy provided you check your temps using this guideline here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...eed-to-run-for-upgraded-electronics-in-my-car

While Caster hits the sweet spot for pricing, it will require some extra grinding and minor modifications to get the car track ready where TEKNO and HB won't require any modifications and go together easier for a first build. So long as you follow one of my respective build threads linked above, you can't go wrong with any 1/8 buggy I referenced.

If you will be racing against others just starting out, you will have a HUGE advantage with a 1/8 buggy.

Good Luck on whatever you decide to do!

Last edited:
The max10 is more suitable for 1/10. The esc and motor will not fit on a buggy or truggy chassis so I would suggest a short course truck. Either try to find a sct410.3 or if you want a new kit, the sct410 SL or the SCTE 3.0 are good 4 wheel drive short course trucks that will fit with that combo.
If you got the 140 amp max10 g2 ESC, it might do well in a 1/8? Maybe? Most 1/8 escs are around the 200 amp ESC ranges.
Its the 140 amp
Is the SCTE 3.0 a losi truck?

Last edited:
My SCT410.3 is strictly for my dirt track. No bashing or sending with it. It's too pretty and I have other rigs to bash and send 30' in the air. 😜 😁 ✌️
Send it. Let's see some tekno durability testing. 🤣😁🤪
Is the SCTE 3.0 a losi truck?
TLR 4wd SCT. My uncle had the 1.0 and the 2.0 and did mod carpet racing with them. Now in my area, short course racing is like non existent. No one races SCT besides my local clay track. 4wd SCTs are nice and fun. I had been looking into 4wd SCT kits myself too. For reference, my uncle used a Hobbywing V2.1 (120amp ESC) and a Novak 550 4.5 turn motor in his 1.0 and 2.0. Man those motors were fast. He also used a Hobbywing XR10 Pro (160A) once but he fried it shortly after due to reverse polarity. 😥 The new XR10 Pro g2s has reverse polarity detection so it won't blow it self up if you do.
Now if I can remember, my uncle's short course trucks came with standard hex sizes not metric. Not sure if losi changed to metric hex on the 3.0.

Last edited:
For bashing I would get something cheap, not brand new kit. Recently I bought xray xb4 2015 roller for 70$ that has been bashed but in working condition except bad bearings.

For off-road racing tekno short course is a good choice either new or older one. You can also go for 1/8 buggy used, generation or two old. This winter I bought xray xb8e with fantom icon 1950kv motor but no servo and ESC for 220$ with 3 sets of tires.

IMG_20230504_170634410.jpg

IMG_20230302_061055412_HDR.jpg

Bashing and racing are kinda two opposite sides of the spectrum... You want your racer to be in tip top condition, set up just right and not too heavy and/or overpowered. For a basher, you want it durable and don't really need that much precision. I think the SCT410.3 is a good compromise though, it's tough as nails and can be set up really well. It's almost a 1/8th buggy in short course form. It'll handle rough tracks.

1/8th buggies are also tough, can handle some abuse and can be set up for racing but IMO they don't look as cool as short course trucks.

Since you're building a track, I'm guessing there's more of you so work out what fits in everyone's budget and wishes.

Be prepared to go through a lot of bodies and tires! :)

I race a couple of my buddies weekly on a guerilla-style track in an abandoned gravel pit (quarry?) with my Slash 4x4, but plan to get a used Tekno because I'm sick of breaking something every race. Two of the guys have Teknos and they very rarely have to wrench on them. And the handling is so much better, more predictable and consistent than a Slash.

I see no mention of scale from OP (Lukedavis), so my default answer for these types of posts is a 1/8 scale buggy... "tanks" of the RC world. Sure, more upfront costs, but durability is great. And, Lukedavis, your thinking of a Tekno kit has so much correctness to it! ;) :thumbs-up: :cool:

Back