Thinking about getting lrp z.28 spec 3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeroc1982

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i really want to buy a new engine and have been looking at the lrp. All i hear are positive things about it. How will it compare to my f4.6? I can get it from my lhs for $229. I just want a powerful, reliable motor. The 4.6 is ok but i really want somthing that has crazy power. Anyone got any info or experience?

I can vouch for the lrp, its a great motor tons of speed and torque, and holds a tune great! highly reccomend it.

Niice! I really want to get it!

Just take note that the engine was discontineud by AE.

Doesn't mean it's a "bad" engine, but they do offer the 30 now. However, the 28 gets pretty bad mileage as it is and I can't imagine the being any better.

I have two of the 28's and really like them both. One in a savage and one in an aftershock. My only issue in the savage is the damage it's causing... blown diffs, twisted axles, spur slippage... The aftershock (with LST2 2-speed) has faired a lot better.

I think I'm just gona rebuild the 4.6 for the rest of this season and wait till winter to buy a new mill, only got a couple monthes left of good weather. After a rebuild, will it be like its new again?? I know i will hav to break it in again.

Just take note that the engine was discontineud by AE.

AE just started making the lrp .28. I have one on order and should have it by august 12. the price was only 169.99 :)

Must be getting what stock they have left. Says on thier web page it is discontinued and being replaced by the .30 engine.

http://67.199.85.166/main/productdetails.php?text=LRP32809

The parts for the engine may be hard to come by later down the road is why I brought it up. Heck, I couldn't even find an o-ring kit for the engines carb.

I have owned a few LRP engines over the years. They are powerful, easy to tune and a good value. Gee does make a good point about the parts being hard to find. I was personally going to buy a new LRP .28 recently. But today I bought a Sirio S30RS for $120 brand new!!! I could not pass on the deal.
The 4.6 is a good engine. I think the LRP .28 runs more consistent and has a little more power than the 4.6. And if your thinking of adding more power... ask yourself. Can the drive-train and suspension handle the power?
The Savage diffs and dogbones can cause headaches. I used to own a Savage and the best upgrade I did was the shocks. I converted to the LST set-up. The shocks made the truck faster and way more fun to drive. Then after a few other upgrades, I installed a RB Mods/Picco .28. Which was a beast of an engine! If I had done the engine swap first... the truck would have fallen apart, not to mention handle like a dump truck at 65mph!
Going really fast all day, is more fun than insane fast for 10 minutes. I would personally put money into other parts first. And of course, this all depends on your budget.

Actually i was out today pulling backflips on this huge jump, split my motor in two. The purple head busted off with half the motor, the rest was still on the truck, looked down and all i could see was the piston attatched to the crank. So i guess I'm in for a new mill for sure. Now just waht to get, i dont want to be stuck for parts with the lrp. Is there a picco that compares to lrp .28 in power and price?

Back