thinking about FOFF and have some questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klown

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
ok, been watchin some vids on youtube on the wraith with a brushless in it. and it got me thinking about what rigs i have currently and what i would need to convert to a FOFF (formula offroad)

what i am wanting to know (before i put the brushless system in it and destroy the truck) is will the trans and axles i have be able to handle the abuse. i have a custom tube chassis with scx10 axles and a R2 trans, i plan on using a castle mamba max esc with a feigao 8xl brushless. i am running hot racing dark knight 2.2 aluminum beadlocks with losi rock claws(for now) and will be using a nimh for the time being till i get a balance harness for my hyperion 2s lipo.

my question is will the R2 trans and axial axles be able to take the abuse of the brushless, or will i forsee metal shavings everywhere or smoked electronics?

The axles will be fine but I would upgrade the gears to the heavy duty version and also look into the solid steel 1 piece spools, the tranny will get eaten up in no time though, go with a Axial tranny and all metal gears with heavy duty steel outputs.

The stock R2 tranny without any hardend gears is litterally bomb proof. I would reccomend gearing the axles with stock ratios or something else but hardened gears will be fine. And if your running plastic driveshafts, get MIP shafts or Punisher shafts from RC4WD.

But yeah the tranny will be able to handle anything you push through it.

the trans is stock from RC4WD and the axles are stock axial scx10 axles. i have never had the axles apart so I'm not sure what the internals look like. but sounds like I'm gonna need new driveshafts and axle guts. thanks guys

Back