Thinking about dumping the fast trucks

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJC_GUY

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
I have a Vorteks and my wife has a Rustler 4X4 VXL. They are fun but I don't find myself wanting to use them as much as the crawlers. We were doing some pros and cons this morning.

Working on the crawlers is fun, it's more comparable to working on 1:1 as far as the mechanics and design and I actually enjoy tearing it down. With the bashers it's more like a chore.

The bashers take a lot more space to really run and I don't like running in groups. We have to drive somewhere to find space for the bashers and parking lots bore me.

Battery life. With the bashers it seems like I never have enough battery, or I break something before I run out of battery, which considering run time is even more frustrating. I took two packs with me crawling on Sunday and after almost an hour of run time my first pack was still well above the cutoff.

Weather plays a big role. I don't mind crawling in the rain or snow, after going to metal axle housings I'm not worried about cold making things brittle like I am with the fast cars and I don't particularly enjoy the fast cars in the rain.

Anyway, those were kind of the main points, part of it is also that I feel like I can go and run the crawlers without interfering with other people enjoying the same area while I feel like the fast cars can be kind of intrusive to other people enjoying a place. I know that's mostly my personal feeling but I can't ignore the anxiety I get feeling like I might take out someones errant child or pet accidentally. While it wouldn't be my fault I would still feel bad.

Anyone else have a struggle like this, or maybe the opposite where you like your fast stuff better?

I would look into some smaller bashers they use less battery and are more durable!

It's not even the durability, when you launch something 20 or 30 feet it doesn't take much of a bad landing to break something. I accept that, parts are cheap from Jennys.

With the crawlers I start one place and next thing I know I've got the truck halfway torn down because it's relaxing. With the bashers I always seem to be trying to take apart as little as possible. I just don't enjoy working on them the same way for some reason.

Thinking about it more I think it's mostly that getting ready to go run the bashers feels more like work because I have to put more planning into it. With the crawlers half the time we'll end up stopping somewhere on our way to crawl because we saw a sweet spot, that almost never happens with the bashers.

I know the feeling. I'm working on some of my "faster" cars now. Since 2017 I've been using my 10.2. I run it rwd almost all the time and have it set between 10 and 15mph roughly.

I feel ya, I enjoy running my fast cars (Mojave and Typhons) but it's getting harder to find places to play. My mini crawlers can be used anywhere, I still need to get in the car to go play with my bigger crawlers. the thing that sucks about California is everything is fenced.

I feel ya, I enjoy running my fast cars (Mojave and Typhons) but it's getting harder to find places to play. My mini crawlers can be used anywhere, I still need to get in the car to go play with my bigger crawlers. the thing that sucks about California is everything is fenced.

We have lots of places within about 30 minutes for the crawlers. Unless I want to run in a parking lot the bashers are further out to get to a good open spot.

Wife said if I dump the Vorteks I might as well list the Rustler too since she wouldn't use it herself. Could be some TRX4M money. 😉

As well as more for the 1/10 crawlers.

I might see how the market is as we get closer to Xmas as it's a little flooded at the moment, if it's good they may go. If not they will stay at least until spring.

I dont own a crawler. All my rigs are fast . I've launched rc s 50 feet but made sure of a safe landing b4 doing it. sure I go thru bats but I have many others to drop in after cooling,send me the unwanted rc

I live in middle of no where in the mountains have acreage so I can just go out back or front and plenty room to play. Crawlers ect.

I dont own a crawler. All my rigs are fast . I've launched rc s 50 feet but made sure of a safe landing b4 doing it. sure I go thru bats but I have many others to drop in after cooling,send me the unwanted rc

I appreciate your rehoming offer but I would probably be selling them to feed other RC addictions. 😜

I originally had no interest in crawlers until I played with one. Probably should have realized I would enjoy it considering this is my daily.

PXL_20201118_153949931 (2).jpg

and this is the type of stuff we build at my work every day.

PXL_20220722_230802869 (1).jpg

I live in middle of no where in the mountains have acreage so I can just go out back or front and plenty room to play. Crawlers ect.

Yeah, I'm sure I would feel different about it if I could run in my front or backyard. Crawler I can.

With the crawlers I start one place and next thing I know I've got the truck halfway torn down because it's relaxing. With the bashers I always seem to be trying to take apart as little as possible. I just don't enjoy working on them the same way for some reason.
I think you like wrenching on solid axle cars more. If you had a solid axle basher (USA-1, Losi lmt, or revo 3.3) it might feel more enjoyable to wrench on.
We have lots of places within about 30 minutes for the crawlers.
I have a good crawler place 30 seconds away and a good off-road bash place 5 seconds away. Good on-road bashing is about 1 hour away (but for some reason, I STILL own a limitless)