The Ugly Truckling

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
Here's the latest lid under construction. 1956 Ford F-100 pickup.
This is going to be a rust bucket, so there are some colors inside the shell,
like silver and browns that will show through as the paint
scrapes off on the outside.
SlvRails.jpg

inside the hood
ugtrk1.jpg

ugtrk2.jpg

Areas most prone to scratches on rollovers will get scratched down to silver metal.
ugtrk4.jpg

ugtrk6.jpg

Areas were textured so the rust effect will be enhanced when it's wet sanded after all the coats are applied.
ugtrk7.jpg

One more rust coat of very dark brown, then the painting begins.
ugtrk8.jpg

There's also a layer of heavy clear between each rust color to enhance the ripped paint effect when it gets beaten up.

So let me understand this.... you are painting both the inside AND outside? Is that silver on inside and applied with a brush? Can you lay out the step by step process of this? i think that's super freakin' cool... a great idea for a crawler body

The rust bucket looks great Rolex! Now you need to build a crawler to put under it!

Thanks, It's a LOT more work than a bling body. The silver is just smeared with a brush where it will scratch the most, then the entire inside is backed with the darkest brown, and some black on the bed. There are about 4 different colors of rust on the outside, with clear in between each coat.
I'm waiting for the last outside coat of very dark brown to dry, and then I'll be mixing some of the awful colors these trucks came in. Once it gets most of its' body color I'll start airbrushing on more rust and wet sanding to bring out the textured detail of the lower coats.

HOLY FRIGIN CRAP! Dude this thing is killer! I can't wait for finished pics.

Bryson

Man Rolex, you actually made a truck that resembles you mostly, only this one is cool!

Love the design man.It will actually look like you drove it!

Man, Rolex... Awesome job!! I think you hit the colors perfectly. I was figuring you'd have more of the holes along the rocker panels.. the holes around the headlight are great!! The texturing is a nice touch!!

So what are you going to do about rims and tires? Any special plans there to make it complete??

I was REALLY hoping that you would have different color body panels and some black primer on the truck. It came out PERFECT! This is coming from someone who has restored several classic pickups in the full scale world. I've been wanting to build a scaler and this is just the motivation that I needed. Once I get my racing build going well, and my newest addition to the RC fleet setup (it's a lil surprise I bought last week), I'm going to build a scaler. I have a 68 chevy pickup shortbed fleetiside that I did a frame off restoration on, so I'm going to use a 72 Chevy body. I think I'm going to build two frames. I'm going to build a scaler/crawler, as well as an an road car so I can build a scale version of my 68 which sits low to the ground and has a hot rod stance. I'll build the crawler version to look rusty and patina, and build the on road truck to match my real truck, viper red with a white interior.

Rusting is a very slow process, but it's amazing how fast it goes if you leave it on the window sill while it's raining.

rust1.jpg

rust2.jpg

rust4.jpg

rust3.jpg

rust5.jpg

One more night on the window sill will probably do it.

Back