The Typhoon project ! ! ! Rustler 4x4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gresvk

RCTalk Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So...the time had come for me to start a project thread 🤘🤘🤘

My initial approach would be to keep things around engine/gearing stock and focus on driveability and durability.

The first goodies are in the way.

What I'm thinking for now is to improve the airflow to keep the temperatures lower, by cutting the body as at the picture below and find a way to keep rocks etc from getting in.

Attachments

• 20220417_103735.jpg
    20220417_103735.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 120
I think the safest place to put holes in your RC body is in the front/rear of the car. I have see where people hsve added a row of holes in the front, and a row in the back, to allow the air to flow through. But RC cars kick up so much dirt, I don't think it matters where you put the holes 😜

If it was me, I would glue a scrap piece of lexan a little bit larger then the area of holes you want. This will add a little support to said area. Printer paper seems tougher the factor bodies.

Have you considered heat sinks and fans?

If you are adding airflow vents try to keep the inlets as low as possible so they don't create lift. Also the exit holes should be at least twice the size of the inlets to keep proper airflow. And @Chubaka 's suggestion for reinforcing the holes is really good advice. Window screen works great for keeping larger bits out of your new vent holes.:thumbs-up:

Off to a good start, Gresvk. Following now to see how your project progresses. This is an off-road project, or a dual sport project?

Is this a TSM model? Wanting to bookmark one on the TRX site to follow along on this build. Cheers. 'AC'

Last edited:
Update 🙂

I decided to cut it on the top and I would add a net behind as advised 👍

I'm still looking for a fan and heat sink.
Temps are stil low here and I'm taking it easy with the drives
20220420_164421.jpg

I replaced the rear bumper and experimented with this rubber thing with the hope to absorve more force with out braking

20220412_170333.jpg

Installed the frame reinforcement and bought a set of street tires

I would use the truck on and off road withe preference for off road, however I dont want to destroy the offroad tyres when I drive on asphalt/pavement now and then.

20220419_190529.jpg

Next in line rpm caster blocks and spindle blocks

20220502_114738.jpg

Heat sink also fitted and cable rerouting to make space for the fan(next shipment)

20220502_172703.jpg

2 carbon sheets on the way to experiment with 😜😜😜

Last edited:
1mm carbon sheets arrived 😜😜😜

I'm thinking about gluing (?) On one side of the arms

20220505_114347.jpg

Other ideas are front and rear fenders ,skid plates or shock bar reinforcement

Any ideas ??

Tempature and voltage sensor installed.

What would be the waring threshold to set for a stock setting ?

20220515_112857.jpg

The arm with the the carbon reinforcement (prototype)works great so far.

20220515_100918.jpg

Back