The smoothest Savage Throttle linkage possible

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newnitrofan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well out of necessity today I had to do some modding of the throttle linkage. The part of the linkage that connects to the carb well it took a crap the plastic part it just broke. I suspect between the differences of engines that I am using right now it has done this. Well lucky for me this didn't cost me any money to do well it didn't cost any money that I haven't already spent. Ok to do this I used power line aluminum bell cranks for the HPI
RS4 SS the end that connects to the steering linkage. The pics should tell the whold story. I also used a side exhaust bolt to hold down a header and two Duratrax 5x10 flanged bearings. Here is the end result. Took some work with the dremel and a drill bit but it turned out pretty sweet. I swear today has been mod day for the savage. Also this worked really well with the ofna throttle linkage mod. I had already done that. I wanted to replace it with a GPM part anyways so now I don't have to.

rc%20bench%20014.jpg

rc%20bench%20015.jpg

rc%20bench%20016.jpg

rc%20bench%20017.jpg

Looks nice. I see you do the same thing most of us do with our fuel lines while we are working on our rc's, plug the feed into the pressure fitting.

Nice...got my gears a turnin' now....time to mod the throttle linkage at the pivot point...already done the part at the servo.

Well it certainly became necessary to do this mod. Didn't feel like forkin out the money for the stock plastic HPI stuff again as it would break yet again. I run a couple of different mills so the carb tends to move a little bit from time to time. I got to test this out yesterday. Had a few hang ups with it but over all I am seriously glad I had the stuff around. Think I need to get the GPM bottom piece though and I should be all set.

Nice work. And I like your brand of beer too...........LOL

The Beast Ice rocks. Cheap too.......

Hmmm can't figure out why people call it that at all. Beast ice?? I mean it messes me up pretty good oh and if I have too much of it wow oh wow the hang over is unreal. Newayz I am really stoked with this mod turned out better than I expected. Going to have to install the old servo in it for a while and use the SF2 for steering again till I can get my 945 fixed.

need help with genral set up for the savage

Originally posted by RUNNIN_XTM_pro24.7
need help with genral set up for the savage

You also need help with posting etiquette.

First, if you have a question...state your post in the form of a question.

Second, if the question you have is unrelated to the thread, then do not post it...Make a separate thread. Use a descriptive title and the first suggestion above.

Constantly posting broad statements that are unrelated to anything in a given thread will not get you any help any faster.

That being said...what is your problem?

I would definately suggest you consult the savage maunal man. There are tons of pictures @ www.nitrofan.net than click on the savage link and see if there is anything that can help you. Thx sky saved me the trouble.

that post is from 2004... he is probably long gone.

if your needing info on the savage linkage, do a search for "ofna linkage mod" its been posted a few times.

El Pirata? SkyMaxx? Geez! Dug deep in the vault for this one! I bought my first savage off SkyMaxx... Got my first tuning lesson from El Pirata!

Regardless, for the savage linkage, you can use the L one of these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000426515&I=TRAC4843&P=K

Replace the bushings with I think 4x6mm bearings and get much more smooth pivot action. That's what I ran on my savage years ago that I got from SkyMaxx. ;)

2005-0626-SavageThrottleLinkageBearings.jpg

I also replaced the wire with threaded end wire I picked up at the LHS and 2mm dubro ball ends.

Last edited:
I like the look of it... but I'd be afraid of them popping off on me.

Man... your stuff really is a work of art though! WTF is that air filter from?!?!? Looks huge!

I'm so not worthy to see that! :bow:

Every time I see a pic of that rig, Ralph, I start to get all excited...

Then I have to go wash up...

but I'd be afraid of them popping off on me.
WTF is that air filter from?!?!? Looks huge!

They REALLY snap down tight. They are tough to get off, even with ball link pliers
Every time I see a pic of that rig, Ralph, I start to get all excited...

Please step away. I don't want to be dealing with stains. Dust is tough enough. :hehe:

The air filter is a standard foam (oiled) with an added outer foam from a 2 stage filter, and then a brass mesh screen from K&S Engineering soldered to fit snugly around it.
Screen.jpg

It's new, and I'll probably be painting it chrome, but you can see it's only slightly larger than the Nova head.

RearScr.jpg

Back