The size of these LiPos are ridiculous.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So as most of you know I've been out of the hobby for a number of years. Last time I was active in it 5000ish mAh lipos were mostly the same basic size when it came to length and width. The height was the thing that varied the most. At least out of the LiPos that were available back then that I was buying. Sometimes if the mAh rating was particularly higher than 5000-5200 (not a lot of them were back then) then you might run in to size issues other than height. Well When I ordered ordered my new LiPos for my Kraton 8S and 4S I stupidly thought to myself well I bought 5000mAh LiPos and theres not really any height limitations in these kits so I didnt check the sizes when I ordered them. /facepalm. I ordered 3 pair of 4S lipos in total and each pair from a different manufacturer because I wanted to try out different companies. Wouldnt you know that all 3 pairs are way longer than my battery trays. smdh. The last set of Lipos to come in (Liperior) are the biggest so far. Even the 6S Lipo I ordered from them is massive. It will fit in one of my 6S Losi kits but it wont fit in my 100+MPH Rustler. I'm glad theres a multitude of budget LiPos to choose from these days but they really need to start trying to standardize their length and width better or RC manufacturers need to start increasing the size of the battery trays...
/Rantoff

The gensacearespammers pack is one of my old packs and its a pretty standard size for a 4S pack. The Zeee brand is a lot bigger and as you can tell the Liperior is even bigger than that. I also ordered a pair from Hovoo and they are basically the same dimentions as the Zeee LiPos.
20210609_174319.jpg
20210609_174335.jpg
20210609_174416.jpg

Yeah, the liperior's are wide/long. I had to dremel out my maxx4s battery bay to fit mine in. The 4S packs I made out of hobbystar 6200mah 3S packs were also too wide to fit in that though.

I had bought a couple of the 5000mah 65C 3S packs for my e-revo, but they were too tall with the battery clips in the bays, so I got 4 45C 3S packs, they are thinner and fit nice. I use the 65C's in series in my outcast. They are heavy though. The 45C's seem to do well for me in the e-revo.

I don't have a ton of cycles on any of them yet.

Yeah, the liperior's are wide/long. I had to dremel out my maxx4s battery bay to fit mine in. The 4S packs I made out of hobbystar 6200mah 3S packs were also too wide to fit in that though.

I had bought a couple of the 5000mah 65C 3S packs for my e-revo, but they were too tall with the battery clips in the bays, so I got 4 45C 3S packs, they are thinner and fit nice. I use the 65C's in series in my outcast. They are heavy though. The 45C's seem to do well for me in the e-revo.

I don't have a ton of cycles on any of them yet.
I really wish the industry would standardize at least the length and the width of lipos. my .02

The original "standard" battery is a 6-cell sub-c stick pack, so the standard battery tray size is derived from that.

Are the "long" lipos comparable in length to a 7-cell sub-c pack, where the 7th cell is added perpendicularly the end? Roughly 155mm long instead of 138mm?

I've noticed some cars (HSP and it's derivatives a la Redcat and Exceed) accommodating those packs, and therefore the longer lipos as well.

My wish list battery is a 3S, rounded hardcase lipo, so it's held securely in those models

I really wish the industry would standardize at least the length and the width of lipos. my .02

I know that these require a spacer or velcro straps for hold downs but length and width wise they fit most Traxxas and Arrma trays on rigs built with 3s in mind. Actually fit both the factory and LCG battery trays in my TRX4 perfectly. I hated the Traxxas hold down anyway so it was already velcro before I went to the LCG tray.

https://www.amazon.com/Zeee-Battery-5200mAh-Helicopter-Airplane/dp/B08SM3215D?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I know that these require a spacer or velcro straps for hold downs but length and width wise they fit most Traxxas and Arrma trays on rigs built with 3s in mind. Actually fit both the factory and LCG battery trays in my TRX4 perfectly. I hated the Traxxas hold down anyway so it was already velcro before I went to the LCG tray.

https://www.amazon.com/Zeee-Battery-5200mAh-Helicopter-Airplane/dp/B08SM3215D?ref_=ast_sto_dp
I discovered later that the length of the battery trays on the Kraton 8S are adjustable so I didnt end having issues after all.

Back