the shrink wrap antenna holder mod...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmytimmy14

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ok guys, does you antenna always fall off when you are bashing or racing. and then when it falls off the antenna tube gets ripped off, or the antenna gets caught in the wheel, or it gets really damaged from dragging along the ground. then you need this mod... stuff needed...

-assorted shrink wrap (i went with the radioshack assorted shrink wrap) $3.50
-matches (for shrinking the shrink wrap...)
-needle nose pliers (you may need these to stretch the shrink wrap if it is too small)

1. find the shrink wrap size that fits around the antanna tube holder on your car. if you can't find on that fits then find the one that fits closest. if it is a little too big then you can shrink it down if it is a little too small then take the needle nose pliers and stick the shrink wrap over the tip of the pliers and pull apart the handles and keep rotating the shrink wrap so that you get an even stretch.

2. once the shrink wrap fits over the antenna tube holder stick the antenna tube in the holder like you normally would without this mod.

3. shrink the shrink wrap with the matches and while you are shrinking it hoold the antenna in the position that you want it or else your antenna will be crooked. you want the antenna to go straight up. when the shrink wrap drys it will hold you antenna straight up and you antenna will never fall out again.

its that simple. now you have a sturdy antenna holder and it also looks cool too. no more dragging or damaged antenna's. if i manage to find my camera anytime soon i will post pics as soon as i can

Have you gotten any pics yet?

I usually just use an inch of fuel tubing on the tube then slide it down over the outside of the holder as far as possible.

Its not the best pic, but you can see it here.
13cyberpig3.jpg

Yeah I also use the fuel tubing... Very cheap and VERY reliable. Ever since i started doing the fuel tubing mod, my anntena has not come off. Ed, very nice maxx by the way.

I use fuel tubbing on the base, I also use shrink wrap on the antenna wire so it does not flop around. I put a piece of red tubing on the tip of my antenna so it is easier to notice when I am bashing with friends.

Did that mod too,except i use cable ties to hold the antenna as well
d9f16b80.jpg

Shrink tube does not work well and here is why....
The tube once shrunk gets stiff. Over a short amount of time the antenna movement will enlarge the shrunk tubing and will not grip the part is was shrunk onto.

Use fuel line. It’s elastic and if kept clean on the inside will not slip and last a good long time.

that's why i use zip ties actually.they hold the antenna,the wrap is just a support

K.I.S.S
You now have 5 parts with 5x the chance to brake or come off.
You will get a better grip and less chance of it coming off using fuel line.

Next time it comes off give the fuel line a try and decide for yourself.

sounds like it may work, but shrink tubing doesn't have very much grip. I just pull the tube far through the tube, and put some pieces of fuel tubing down the line. (one every few inches)

Tarant said:
I use fuel tubbing on the base, I also use shrink wrap on the antenna wire so it does not flop around. I put a piece of red tubing on the tip of my antenna so it is easier to notice when I am bashing with friends.

That's a good idea - I may do it myself!

-Michael

i've seen someone melting the base of his antena so it doesn't move.very efficient if you do it right

Back