The Official 2006 F1 Season Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmechG550

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Here we go boys, the countdown to green is getting close. I can't wait to see that F248 driven by none other than Mr Shumi screaming through the desert on it's way to the first victory of the new generation of Ferrari! Raikkonen second. It will be a close one this year with the V8's but you'll see Schumacher capture #8.

INO I'm afraid not, "Schumi" is a spent force and Ferrari have done nothing impressive in testing, this year will belong to Alonso, Raikkonen, Button and Barrichello (the hondas are looking awesome at the moment and have arguably the strongest driver line-up in F1 this year) then the M Schumacher ferrari (his teammate this year is terrible and ferrari will suffer for it), the 2 Williams, Toyotas, Red Bull and BMW's fighting over the minor places.

I am very jealous of you! You lucky lucky boy, I'm going to the British GP later this year. Enjoy Dubai its a great place.

Qualifying is Saturday...not sure of US time...and the qualifying format should be much more interesting this year.

last i read it was ferraris dependibility that caused schumi to fail so badly last year.... HE WILL RETURN! but if he doesn't i want to see alonso again

Arrow said:
last i read it was ferraris dependibility that caused schumi to fail so badly last year.... HE WILL RETURN! but if he doesn't i want to see alonso again

The Ferrari's were reliable last year, just very, very slow...If the season starts badly for them (which it will, even they have admitted they are not expecting much) then I can't see Schumacher having the motivation (like last year) to keep on, unfortunately his teammate (Filipe Massa) doesn't cut it. His teammates have always been v good drivers (just not up to his level) and have more or less pulled their weight. Without another great driver to develop the car......

The guy is/was an awesome driver, absolutely, one of the best ever, its hard to compare with drivers from different era's but he's definately one of the best, has the extra something that only people like him, Senna, Prost, Fangio, Moss and Jim Clark had and they all had ruthless streak bordering on insanity! See French GP 2001 and him trying to put his BROTHER into the wall.

I hope he bows out at the top he's been too great to trundle around making up the numbers.

Lessen said:
ok, newbie F1 fan here.

what's different?

OK here we go....

Last year each driver had ONE flying lap to record a time, fastest got pole and they went one at a time. This was very dull. All cars had to have the fuel they were starting the race with too.

For 2006, the single-lap system used in recent years is replaced be a new three-part, knockout format, with multiple cars on track throughout the qualifying hour, which is split into two 15-minute sessions and a final 20-minute session, with five-minute breaks in between.

Part one: All 22 cars may run laps at any time during the first 15 minutes of the hour. At the end of the first 15 minutes, the six slowest cars drop out and fill the final six grid places.

Part two: After a five-minute break, the times will be reset and the 16 remaining cars then will then run in a second 15-minute session - again they may complete as many laps as they want at any time during that period. At the end of the 15 minutes, the six slowest cars drop out and fill places 11 to 16 on the grid.

Part three: After another five-minute break, the times are reset and the final 20-minute session will feature a shootout between the remaining 10 cars to decide pole position and the starting order for the top 10 grid places. Again, these cars may run as many laps as they wish.

In the first two 15-minute sessions, cars may run any fuel load and drivers knocked out after those sessions may refuel ahead of the race.

Which hopefully equals more cars on track and more drama as drivers can now put in real banzai laps to get through to the next session.

ooooo... how cool! what about the final segment? Do they all run full tanks? What's the fuel policy for the start of the race?

My God mate, how can you think a Honda is actually going to be up front! Rubens or not, they suck! LOL Button needs to come back to earth and realize he nowhere as good as he thinks he is. I do agree Masa was a bad deal, I'm sure he ponied up some big bucks for that ride. He's only filler til 07. Schumi wins #8 this year and retires, then it will be Raikkonen and ? I wish I was going, I'll be watching on TV! I may be in Monaco, we usually have a trip there around that time. Definitely the 06 US Debacle (heck I live 10 minutes from the track). BTW, Lessen, your gonna love David Hobbs!!!! Kablamo!!!!!!!

Lessen said:
whos david hobbs? new driver? I've not heard of him
He's one of the guys calling the race along with Bob Varsha and Steve Matchett and occasionaly Rick DeBruhl. The older of the two British gents on there. He's hilarious, comes up with some really off the wall poop like Kablamo and "It done blowed up mate" He's definitely the color commentary, he's even funnier offline listening on the scanner. Check it here:
http://www.speedtv.com/speed/bio/134/
BTW, he was in the booth at the Daytona 500 for several years from through the 70's and very early 80's.

Last edited:
jetmechG550 said:
My God mate, how can you think a Honda is actually going to be up front! Rubens or not, they suck! LOL Button needs to come back to earth and realize he nowhere as good as he thinks he is. I do agree Masa was a bad deal, I'm sure he ponied up some big bucks for that ride. He's only filler til 07. Schumi wins #8 this year and retires, then it will be Raikkonen and ? I wish I was going, I'll be watching on TV! I may be in Monaco, we usually have a trip there around that time. Definitely the 06 US Debacle (heck I live 10 minutes from the track). BTW, Lessen, your gonna love David Hobbs!!!! Kablamo!!!!!!!

Tell you what, we'll revisit this thread on Monday....when Schumi gets lapped by both Hondas you can apologise and kiss my @rse!!!!

If Schumi storms off into the distance, I'll apologise and kiss your @rse instead!

My Prediction :-
1st Alonso
2nd Raikkenen
3rd Button
4th Barricello
5th Montoya
6th Webber
7th M Schumacher
8th Fisichella

Whats your prediction?

BTW Have you seen this years McLaren? One of the best looking F1's ever...still doesn't come close to the Shark nose Ferrari though.

Last edited:
jetmechG550 said:
He's one of the guys calling the race along with Bob Varsha and Steve Matchett and occasionaly Rick DeBruhl. The older of the two British gents on there. He's hilarious, comes up with some really off the wall poop like Kablamo and "It done blowed up mate" He's definitely the color commentary, he's even funnier offline listening on the scanner. Check it here:
http://www.speedtv.com/speed/bio/134/
BTW, he was in the booth at the Daytona 500 for several years from through the 70's and very early 80's.

ahhh.. ok, after seeing his picture I know who he is. yeah, he is pretty entertaining :)

jetmechG550 said:
He's one of the guys calling the race along with Bob Varsha and Steve Matchett and occasionaly Rick DeBruhl. The older of the two British gents on there.

and Steve Matchett I believe was one of Michael Schumachers mechanics/pit crew at Benetton....he's written a couple of really good F1 books about being on a team. (I got a signed one.....)

Ryan, your dreaming putting Webber up there in the points. I say Schumi, Alonso, Raikonnen, Barichello and possibly Montoya. ( I've always hated that guy even when he was in CART)

Ryan with savage said:
and Steve Matchett I believe was one of Michael Schumachers mechanics/pit crew at Benetton....he's written a couple of really good F1 books about being on a team. (I got a signed one.....)
That is correct, Matchett does have an excellent technical background. My picks:
1 - Schumi
2 - Raikkonen
3 - Alonso
4 - Montoya
5 - Fisi
6 - Rubens
7 - Trulli
8 - Heidfeld
9 - Button
10 - DC
11 - Ralf
12 - Massa
total crapshoot after 12. I'd really like to see Villeneuve dead last or not even make it off the grid!

Yeah Webber was my "wildcard" pick for points actually, he's s'hot in qualifying so usually starts pretty good...

Wow you hate button!! Actually not keen myself but I still think he's a very good driver.

Frank, DC?!? Really?!? I don't know about that. I consider him washed up.

Button is a scrapper but he is not consistent. Massa sucks all around. Alonso is on a great team. Renault, if they are anything like they were in the 70's and early 80's, will dominate many races.

I can only record the Q and race. Forgot to set it for practice. Lessen, don't spill the beans for us west coast people!

Back