the long version of my "new" pink redcat on-road build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsalifeworthliving

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I've been working on this project for a few days now and I'm prety much done with the exception of a few more performance parts that i still need to order. so i already have 2 redcat rampages and wanted another one but still something diffrent.so i went with an on-road build. i started out with a rampage mt V1 as they were on sale and i was working with a pretty limited budget of $1200.00.. i wanted something flashy with a "wow" factor. thats were the pink came into play. being that its on-road/shelf only it will hold up just fine. my main concern was that it was fast.. really fast!!. this is what i ordered last weekend:
-rampage mt V1
-upgrade kit.(diffs,clutch bell,gear plate and extra suspension arms and stuff)
-chrome side dom pipe
-proline desporato rims for an hpi 5b, chrome with black beadlocks
-hpi tarmac street tires
-cat5 lowering kit(1")
-vertigo 8mm axle extenders for an hpi 5b
-hbz under chassis led light kit(kryptonite green)
-hitech stearing and throttle servo's, hs-645 and hs-805
-futaba 3pm radio
-o'neill bros race ported zenoah. 27.2cc.. it has:
-machined head for 2mm stroker
-resurface intake port
-inlarged and resurfaced exhoust port
-reshaped/inlarged/resurfaced transfer ports
-windowed piston
-2mm stuffed stroker
-lightened flywheel
ya, she's a screamer to say the least:D.. so i started by completly ripping it down and installing the upgraded diff and such. i went wit 10k in the rear and 7k up front for the diffs. for the plastic i brillowed the plastic and washed it all in alcohol. i used krylon plastic paint and dupont clear coat. 3 light coats of pink and about 6-7 coats of clear. its pretty hard to say the least. i did pretty much 90% of the plastic and it took me all day! while that was setiing up i assembled the tires. i had to make custom foams for the tarmacs(I'm cheap).. but i wanted them to be pretty hard and the tires to not balloon out at high speeds. so i taped the inside with athletic tape and glued my custom foams to the rim.. worked great. very stiff and no side wall roll. i then started to assemble the front/rear diffs/suspension arms and get that mounted up. after that i assembled the shocks. i had to use a shorter spring on all 4 corners becouse i lowered the ride hight so much. I'm running 75wt in the rear and 65 up front with maybe 1/4" of droop. now i could at least mount the tires so i didnt scratch the still soft plastic. wow!! all the plastic is on, so i went to the motor. had to take every last bolt off the mill and crack the case. pulled the stock fly wheel and everything. at that moment i decided to spray the case and head with white high temp spray paint. so i started masking.. once that was done i pulled my ceramic cc racing case bearings out of an old case i had and slapped them in.new copper gaskits, 8k clutch spring and she was completly back together in maybe 20 minutes. but before i installed it i had some other things to do. still had to install my radio gear and light kit, plus trim/mount up the body mounts and shell. at that very moment i new i did the right thing.. it was unbeleavable and nearly brought a tear to my eye. she sat so low.. so wide.. it just looked fast sitting on my bench.. ok, got all the radio gear mounted(not hooked up), lights are wired, "hacked up" a front bumper from the huge front mt bumper, cut a small polycarbinate rock deflector for the rear suspension arms. now I'm ready to mount the motor.. went in likje butter on bread. i was going to use the stock roll cage that i painted white, but nixed that idea as i dont really need it. once the mill was mounted i could mount my ddm side dominator chrome side pipe. at to drill some mounting holes and it was done, trimmed out the body for the pipe and i called it a day.
i started all that at 9am on friday. and didnt stop untill 4:30am saterday morning.. i dont care who you are.. THATS HARDCORE RC'ING LIKE A TRUE ADDICT! slept for 4 hours and was back at it. got the shell masked off and slowly started painting. i went with white with pink racing stripes and a black bed cover with pink carbon fiber look. nearly cryed again when i mounted it up. at this point i havent tested the under chassis lights yet. took it outside and bench ran about half a tank thru it at diffrent throttle positions for a light break in. took it to a parking lot and ran the rest out. it was geared to low and flat lined pretty quick becouse i went from an 8 3/4" tire to a 6 1/4" tire. today i re-geared it and took it out for a spin. its fast. i almost crashed becouse my eye's were welt up with tears.. the motor spools up fast and wants to break lose at about 25mph when the pipe kicks in. i raced a few 1:1 cars and they really got on it. no match.. its trully disturbing how fast this thing is. have yet to really top it out, but its the fastest motor i have ever built.. I'm running 33/27 gears and can still light-up all 4 tires from a standing stop on new ashpalt.. i'll be putting in 35/25 to see how that works.. i wana break 60mph.. remember. its almost 3 feet long and weighs over 30lbs with a single speed tranny.. my next upgrade will be the elcon 4 shoe clutch, 813 carb.. thanxs for listening guys.. all coments welcome
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=

Attachments

• the widow maker project 003.JPG
    the widow maker project 003.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 167
  • the widow maker project 005.JPG
    the widow maker project 005.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 178
  • the widow maker project 017.JPG
    the widow maker project 017.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 186
  • the widow maker project 030.JPG