The Good, Bad and the Ugly

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCGook

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi again,

As I said in my introduction post, I have been researching a little on nitro cars, in particularly off road buggies and truggies.

E-bay Listing
Ebay has a million of them, mainly from HSP. I've also found these same trucks on the Chinese version of e-bay, as well as other Chinese import/export websites. This makes me believe that they are rubbish, and I will spend more time buying spare parts for them that actually driving it. The feedback from some of the buyers suggests that.

"Car broke first time I used it, etc."

Perhaps I am looking for the holy grail - a car (RTR or not) that is strong and doesn't need upgrades to get it smokin'. I will be driving it mainly around construction sites and rough places like that, but don't want to be fixing suspension parts, wheels and frames every 30 minutes. I am not against looking after it....you know what I mean.

Buggies, Truggies & MT's......
I like the look of the Truggies - that mix between MT and buggy. They look like Dakar Rally cars - fast yet strong. Do the Buggies take a beating? They seem to be a little cheaper than the Truggies.

Other brands I have come across that I like the look of....
Seben Racing Nitrozilla
Associated Factory
DuraTrax

So, in all that, I guess what I am saying is - What would you guys says is a fast, reliable car that doesn't need me spending hours on it changing parts because they snapped. Having said that, I am not looking for the top-of-the-line model, set up for racing.

Welcome to RCNT.
If you plan to be running mainly off road in construction sites, you'll definitely want to check out the HPI Savage X. It's the toughest one out there. 4 wheel drive off road MT.

Thanks for the reply. The savage does seem to be the one that everyone is talking about, as far as MT's go. Actually, I was hoping to buy something more of a buggy/truggy. Not sure why, but they take my fancy more than the MT's.

They all have their good points, or good, bad and ugly. Stick around, you'll gets lots more info to go by. Never jump into something and then get stuck with something that disappoints you. Wait for more info, and do a little more research.

+1 on the Savage. Those things are incredibly durable.

Yep, Id say Savage for bashing. Also might wanna check out the revo. There pretty tough as well.

So am I right in saying that the HSP ones will be rubbish? They are cheap and considered entry-level cars, but as I said up top, I don't want to be replacing parts all the time.

Seben Racing?

Truggies and Buggies are best suited for a groomed surface like a race track.They are low to the ground for hadling any usually will have racing tires from the factory.For other terrain such as grass,stones,rough dirt like a construction site the MT will shine. More ground clearence and the 2 or 3 speed trannsmision work well providing low speed grunt and high top speeds.Truggy and Buggy class are very competetive racing class at our track.The MT class is more people that are just starting out in racing or just having a good time.Race it on Sunday and Bash it on Monday.

Just passing on some info,if you like the truggies go for it.Mabey the Tamiya Niterage would be a good bashing truggie with an optional 2 speed tranny available.

Thanks Captain Chaos - good stuff to know.

The Tamiya Nitrage looks pretty cool - but how is it reliability-wise? Tamiya is a pretty old company so I can imagine they would be pretty good?

If your not going to be racing then go with a MT savage, revo, t maxx, some thing with ground clerance and heavier duty suspension, truggies are designed for a track jumping cornering, not out bashing.....

Think of every dvd or you tube you've ever seen. Have you ever seen a Tamiya represented. They are rubbish as far as durability go. Fantastic for innovation, just break easily and are impossible to get bits for. HSP ARE cheap entry level but certainly aren't the worst around, some are REASONABLY good. The boys are right with the Savage, or the Revo. Monster truck is the way to go for what you described. (I'm still a big fan of the MGT 8.0). But for anyone wanting a total surprise, the Thunder Tiger Hammer S18. 1/12 scale .18 with a 2 speed. Fast, fun and suprisingly strong....

Back