The Dominator, Run in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jriesz

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey everyone,

Well, the GV dominator (apparently GV stands for Great Vigor...that gave me a laugh) I posted about a while back is well and truly run in now (It was run in the first day, but i've been to busy driving it to post :D), and I gotta say, WHERE HAS NITRO RC BEEN ALL MY LIFE!

Seriously, those things are so much fun. As for the dominator itself, we've had our ups and downs. Run in went fine on one bottle of fuel, then I switched over to my brothers old fuel, and had trouble tuning to no end. Until I read here, aparently, old fuel is bad, who'da thought? After some wikipedia'ing, a bit of chemistry and some diagnosis of symptoms, I know understand why (Apparently glow engines don't work so well with some water in the fuel)

But, onto some fresh fuel now, and she's running purrrfectly. Been jumping it round, doing a few unintended barrel rolls/flips/corkscrews just to make sure that new look is well and truly gone. I'm pretty sure I can well and truly say i'm addicted now, and it's gonna hurt the hip pocket... bad.

On that note - Bradz, if your out there, I know you own one of these beasts - any luck with finding a source of parts? (Not that I need any now, apart from possible hop-ups, but just in case) I'm mostly looking for online sources, because my LHS, who i bought it from, is a rather long drive from here, and I don't have a car (well, bigger than a 1/8 scale anyway).

Well, just thought that as with any addiction, the first step is to admit you have a problem.

My name is James, and I am an RC addict.

Last edited:
Hey mate, glad your liking the buggy.
Have a look at the black and white instruction booklet on how to build it.
In the back they have a FULL list of parts and some hopups.
Ring your LHS and tell them to order what you need ( give them the supplied part number). Thats how i get my parts. I spose you may still have to drive to there to get them.
Other than that i haven't found anywhere else just yet..
Good luck! Oh yeah, post pics!!
Cheers.

The first crash :(

Well, it's nothing to serious, but it's the first one, so i thought i'd post some pics. I went for a WOT run down a dirt track in the bush round here, and well, the tree kinda jumped out at me. I hit the brakes, with absolutely no chance of stopping in time, and tried to swerve around it but ended up going sideways into the tree. The result, a nice bent exhaust pipe.

The car (The dirt is purely for decoration)
07032009(003).jpg

The exhaust - Punched holes both sides of the exhaust, doesn't affect how it runs, but makes it hard to prime the engine by blocking it :D. Since fixed the cheap way - with some gasket sealant.
07032009(002).jpg

Well, that's it for now. Peace.

I have one of these buggies and can't for the life of my seem to get it running. I am priming it up making sure the fuel gets to the carb, making sure my glow warmer is make sth glow plug glow nice and bright, the fuel is new and about 20% nitro. I can't seem to figure out what the hell I am doing wrong. Any suggestons????

I had some trouble starting it up the first time myself - don't worry, soon as you get it going once, it starts real easy from then on.

My problem was more due to my inexperience with RC, and I changed the tuning before i ran it in. Spent about 2 hours fiddling with the LSN and then HSN to get it tuned properly. Mind you, I started mine on 1 bottle 5% nitro first (Recommendation of guy at the store, although the engine manual says differently??), then stepped up to 15% which I use now.

I find it a little easier if you give it a bit of throttle to start. Just keep at it, and if you still have no luck, try fiddling with the mixture (Starting at the recommended flush for LSN and 3 turns out for HSN)

Well I got it running today, had to zip tie the fuel lines as I suspect they weren't air tight. Also adjusting the throttle trim slightly semed to make a big difference. Now onto keeping it running. I seems to run for a while but then it stops irregularly and especially when you apply the brakes. I assume from some of the posts of I have read that this is more than likely maladjusted HS/LSN.

Much reading to be done on this now :hehe:

Maladjusted LSN could be the cause here, although, to stop the stall when brakes are applied you could screw in the idle a little bit (Had this problem myself). Basically, when you put the breaks on, it is pushing in the carb a bit further and stalling. By screwing in the idle a bit, you put the stop a bit further out and stop this.

For the other stalling, try running through this. Helped me out to no end. Just make sure the fuel you're using isn't past its day, that can really screw you round.

i have one and i have had it since Christmas. i had a hell of a time starting it and getting the idle right. i still haven't quite worked out the idle. i use 16% nitro and it is always starting first time. i had to just keep fiddling with the idle thing on the controller to adjust the gap the lets more fuel come in (i can't remember what it is called)

as jriez said it takes alot of fiddling and when you get it started a few times it will be easy as pie, and also as jries said try using some throttle while the glow plug heater is on and then take it off when the car starts going forward. that is what i do

yes i am having the same problem. when i put the brakes on sometimes for a bit to long it just stops. have you got any suggestions?

read the manual but there should be about a 1mm gap in the carb and it should stay there when the brakes are applied... set this before starting the car and if you have difficulties getting it started adjust the trim on the controller... it can be brought back once it is running

why when i first start driving my dominator (when i pull the throttle right back) does the car not move for a second and make a deep noise and sometimes stop? is it because i am running it too rich?

Hey everyone,

Well, the GV dominator (apparently GV stands for Great Vigor...that gave me a laugh) I posted about a while back is well and truly run in now (It was run in the first day, but i've been to busy driving it to post :D), and I gotta say, WHERE HAS NITRO RC BEEN ALL MY LIFE!

Seriously, those things are so much fun. As for the dominator itself, we've had our ups and downs. Run in went fine on one bottle of fuel, then I switched over to my brothers old fuel, and had trouble tuning to no end. Until I read here, aparently, old fuel is bad, who'da thought? After some wikipedia'ing, a bit of chemistry and some diagnosis of symptoms, I know understand why (Apparently glow engines don't work so well with some water in the fuel)

But, onto some fresh fuel now, and she's running purrrfectly. Been jumping it round, doing a few unintended barrel rolls/flips/corkscrews just to make sure that new look is well and truly gone. I'm pretty sure I can well and truly say i'm addicted now, and it's gonna hurt the hip pocket... bad.

On that note - Bradz, if your out there, I know you own one of these beasts - any luck with finding a source of parts? (Not that I need any now, apart from possible hop-ups, but just in case) I'm mostly looking for online sources, because my LHS, who i bought it from, is a rather long drive from here, and I don't have a car (well, bigger than a 1/8 scale anyway).

Well, just thought that as with any addiction, the first step is to admit you have a problem.

My name is James, and I am an RC addict.

Just to point out - water is bad for all engines :)

Buggington

Back