The Big EP Rebuild

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pirata

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
As per Çh®i§tiªñ 's request I am starting this thread to kinda go step by step for the rebuild. XTM 21 Upgrade kit ordered. Shocks and front axels at my machinist's house getting straightened. Shock Tower will probably be straightened. A-Arms should arrive this week, RPM's until next payday when I grab a set of the super maxx A-Arms.

As it stands remarkably the front blukheads, diff, and pins survived the accident. I'll probably need another new screw set (most of them either broke taking them out or were severely bent) and body posts. Depending on how much cash I still have after paying my bills I might pick up a set of titanium skid plates for the front and rear.

Cool. I just picked up a new Radio and a screw set. They had the titanium screw set for $130. Much more than I wanted to spend on screws. I did blow $300 on the Lynx 3D with Spectra module and Novak receiver. Giddyup.

I don't know about carrying a bunch of crystals around, but I do like the FM band and the fact that I won't have to worry about interference. Let the others carry their crystals...

Congrats Sky on the Radio buddy! If you need any help getting through any of it, let me know. I find it to be a little combersome at first, but all good once you get used to it ;)

Big El - Post links to the replacements your getting. Tell us a little about why you made the decisions to get what you did :) I like your info when you post it! Bring it......

EP what diff components are ya running?I'm tearing my stock rear apart with my hyper.Just wondered if you got any plans like 1/8 scale diffs cause the xtm cvd's wont fit the output cups on the UE SM ones,not sure about the ones from trophy class though.I only mentioned it cause your on a rebuild trip at the moment and these are the things i got to look at being a fellow hyper 21 dude.

My thoughts go out to America today and all who died on 9/11/2001.Lets all hope for a brighter day.

So you decided to fix it (good idea not trying to be a smart@$$) that thing was really FUBAR

I too contribute My
thoughts to the people who lost loved
ones/friends on
September 11th,2001
And to the Country that
has stayed strong through many hard ships and events that
made America what it is today.
Let us never Forget the day so
many lives were lost and The United States Of America
got even stronger!!!

Last edited:
First rebuild stuff:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1765545533&rd=1

I guess I figured it had everything I needed plus it will have a ton of spares. Since I never had gotten the steel center drive shafts this one made sense. Next will probably be the new shock tower and finally I'll probably get the titanium skids, st least front and rear.

Looks like a healthy start...are you gonna get the XTM 24.7 engine to go with it?

When do you think you'll have a running Maxx...I need a bash session to get away from my kids...nothing like the soothing sound of nitro engines and ah ishes to take one's mind off the troubles of a family of women....

BTW look for your DVD and CD in the next couple of days

Last edited:
Probably next weekend. This weekend I am adding my lift kit to my Jeep and I want to start on Saturday so that I will be finished by Monday when I go to work.

The XTM 21 Conversion arrived just a few minutes ago. It was shipped in a paintball box so I was thinking something paintball related but since I knew I quit paintball over a month ago and sold all my stuff I was hoping it was the 21 kit, it was. Another quick note, I have to return to work in a few minutes which I don't want to do, but had I not been let off early to get ready to come back I would have waited until tomorrow afterwork to start rebuilding my T. Guess there's a good side to everything in life!

The Front End

MVC-191F.JPG

MVC-192F.JPG

MVC-193F.JPG

MVC-196F.JPG

MVC-197F.JPG

My pit crew showing th manual we are using!
MVC-199F.JPG

I opted for an RPM shock tower for the warranty and price. The A-Arm bottoms were replaced again and the old set of broken RPM A-Arms are going to be shipped off back to the factory and when they are replaced I will keep them as spares in addition to the virgin A-Arm tops. One thing I noticed as I started to rebuild the front end, the titanium A-Arm pins were bent enough so that I needed to use visegrips to remove the pins Currently I am using the stock pins but may upgrade in the future.

In the pics you can see part of my composite alum/plastic skid plate. The front part has not been reinstalled in the pic as of yet. You can also see the new front drive shaft. The bumper I am currently using is a stock one that I had dipped in rubber to increast the life of it but it is need of a fresh coat.

Now you need to get the rest of it together and start it up. Let me know about next weekend.

Even More Pics

Top view servos installed, engine, radio receiver, exhaust, Still need throttle servo to be connected and the fuel tank to be added. I also need to drill holes in the front shock mounts to take the body pin from the side.
MVC-212F.JPG

MVC-214F.JPG

MVC-217F.JPG

These last ones deal with the exhaust. I really like the mounting system that XTM used on the exhaust header mounting onto the engine to the header/pipe mount and the pipe to body. It really seems like an outta sight system.

MVC-218F.JPG

MVC-219F.JPG

MVC-220F.JPG

MVC-221F.JPG

Finished!

MVC-226F.JPG

MVC-227F.JPG

Check it, I actually zip tied the wires.
MVC-228F.JPG

MVC-229F.JPG

Driver and Pit Crew are happy to be finished with the rebuild!
MVC-230F.JPG

Looking Good Buddy! I especially took a liking to that tranny case. Who makes it? Does it come in Blue? And last but not least, How much did it cost?

What gears did you drop inside?

-Chris

Keep up the GREAT work!

I mistakenly bought the tranny case off E-Bay thinking it was a complete forward only case, didn't read the fine print yet again. Hardcore makes the case. I stopped by my LHS and picked up the gears, shafts and bearings that they said would fit it and they earned their pay on this one because it works fine and everything shifts fine. The case is made by hardcore so more than likely it comes in other colors. T case went for $130 and I blew about $40 for the gears and stuff so the total was under $200 for everything.

Looks nice...we'll see how long it takes you to break it this time...:D

Back